Strings for the vintage Jazz bass growl?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by chbecker, Sep 14, 2000.

1. I just got a 1975 Ibanez Jazz bass and I wanted to get more of that jazz bass growl. I will probably upgrade the electronics with the J-Retro and the pickups to Bartolini 9w4j's. I have no idea what strings to use to get the growly distinct jazz sound. Any help you can send my way would be greatly appreciated.
  2. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    When I think of vintage jazz bass growl I think of Rotosound Swing Bass 66 rouundwounds. Of course I think that there are many better brands of stainless steel roundwounds now. But back in the day, this was the brand to use. When I used them I found them to be inconsistent set to set and I finally gave up on them.
  3. I'm using D'Addario XL165's on my Jazz. I love em. Same sizes as Roto Swing 66's. The XL165's are Nickel, so they are easier on the frets, and they sound real good. They're cheap, and machine made, so they are consistent.

4. Thanks. I will try out the D'addario's. Has anyone tryed out DR Sun Beams on a passive Jazz bass?
  5. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    I've got Hi-Beams on my passive jazz bass. I've used D'addario XL with good results too. Keep in mind that nickel is less trebly (growly IMO) than stainless steel. I've heard that the sunbeams are quite warm sounding.
  6. gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Looks like you have a few suggestions already, but I found that exact tone in a set of Fender 7150's. They're only $15 to boot!