Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strings for Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bass Of Thunder, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Bass Of Thunder

Bass Of Thunder

Oct 6, 2005
    Hi,

recently I bought Epiphone Thunderbird IV and now i'ts time to change strings. Which ones could sound cool with Thunderbird (from GHS and D'Addario)?

I've been playing bass ony for ten months, so I would like to hear your opinions. I'm going to play hard/glam rock (like SLADE, KISS & THE DARKNESS).

Thanx!

2. I use DR highbeam .40-.100 on my Gibby Thunderbird and I love the feel/sound of them. My tone isnt really heavy on bass so the lighter strings suite me better, I play experimental/fusion/jazz/hard rock.

3. I recently sold a thunderbird bass on ebay... is your user name drummerhero or something like that?

4. mark roberts

mark roberts Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    Excellent choice...I would make the same recommendation....
    .040 - .100 DR Hi-Beams, if you like a bit more stiffness the same gauges on DR LowRiders Stainless Steel.

5. Bass Of Thunder

Bass Of Thunder

Oct 6, 2005
    No... But thanks for advices to others!

6. And I like the DR Sunbeams. A bit 'mellower' than some SS rounds ( like GNS Boomers), but real nice. Throaty.

7. The D'Addarios in the purple packs. I think they're .45-100 or in that neighborhood. I use .50-105 on my other basses.

8. I was just curious as to where it ended up...

I always strung it up with ernie ball hybrid slinkys and they had a great growl. They really evened out those bassy pickups.

9. Bass Of Thunder

Bass Of Thunder

Oct 6, 2005