Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strings for upright tone on a Yamaha BB404F

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I might be getting a Yamaha BB404 fretless later this month. Bad thing? It's strung with some pretty rough-feeling roundwounds at the moment, so as soon as I get it I've gotta restring. I want to be able to cop a good upright-like sound for when I'm playing in the school jazz band last year but something versatile enough that I should be able to get the jaco tone for instance (should be fine with that -- maple neck, fretless, rosewood board, alder body, two jazz pickups).

I've been looking at the following:
    TI Jazz Flats
    La Bella Deep Talkin' Flats
    Fender nickel flats

2. TI Jazz Flats are what I use!

You can also use a piece of foam under the strings at the bridge to get less decay and less fret noise, which adds to getting close to upright tone.

Nothing gets Upright tone, like an upright!

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    Thought about nylon tapewounds?
    If so, Labella Deep Talkin' Nylons produce a wonderful tone, are not boomy, and feel really great--like a matte finish.

4. sambass

sambass

Apr 15, 2003
    MA

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Thanks for the contribution sambass. I, a sixteen year old without a job, will somehow attain a couple grand, spend it on an upright, spend god knows how long learning to play it correctly, all for one facet of my tone. I'll get right on that.

Bluemonk, I had indeed considered those. They are, however, awfully expensive. What's the word on the tension? After playing my friend's jazz bass, I have since ruled out the Fender flats simply because the tension is just so high.

6. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    You can get the nylon Labella's at carvin.com for $19!(elsewhere much higher). The tension is not high. I've gotten two pair from carvin and they come very quickly in the mail.

7. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    You can get the nylon Labella's at carvin.com for $19!(elsewhere much higher). The tension is not high. I've gotten two pair from carvin and they come very quickly in the mail.

8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Wait, wait. By "nylon", do you mean nylon core, or wrapped with nylon tape? If so, that's an incredible price! I'll check that out, thanks a bunch.