Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

strings for violin bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassmonkey144, Nov 2, 2004.

1. i just got the rogue violin bass, and i must say im quite happy with it. however, the strings that came with it quite frankly just plain suck. so i was thinking about getting some flatwounds for it, but im not sure which, since ive never used flatwounds. ive always stuck by my ernie ball slinky hybrids. anywho, back to the point. what kind of flatwounds can give me a beatle-ish, but low sound, but still fit the bass. i believe medium scale and nothing over 100 gaugue.

2. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    I would try the Thomastiks, they would be purrfect for that
    bass..

Slug

3. thanks for the advice slug

also, i was thinking. will flatwounds soung good with hammer ons and stuff. i was reading a post here somewhere on the forums about it. in relation to paul maccartneys style of bass playing, there are a fair number of hammers, pops and other stuff. will this sound good on flatwounds? btw, does anybody even know what kind of strings paul used?

4. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Macca used Pyramid flats (I believe the Hofners came with them) and Rotosound 88 nylon tapewounds... and others earlier on, maybe.

I'd check out LaBella 760N nylon tapewounds, too. From what I have heard, they are a little livelier than the Rotos, and may be more responsive for the techniques you are thinking about. But, I second the Thomastik Jazz Flats.

5. kaybass1952

kaybass1952

Mar 12, 2004
    I used a friends Rogue Violin Bass with *LaBella Beatle Bass Strings*(Flats). Played and sounded very good.

6. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I have a Turser that I fool around with. They're probably made on the same line as the Rogues! Anyway, if you really want the Beatle tone and have the extra $$$ go with Pyramids. They aren't cheap, but with them that bass cops the Macca tone extremely well. They are the factory supplied strings on Hofners and are designed for violin style basses specifically. Believe me, I understand about dressing up an inexpensive instrument with top shelf strings, but IMO they are really worth it. My bandmates are constantly amazed at how close the tone is to a Hofner.

I wasn't going to spend a lot of $$$ for a Hofner that would mostly sit in the closet so I got one of these basses. I think they are an excellent value and do what they do very well. With the Pyramids on it I am quite impressed.

From what I gather the LaBella Beatle are also very good. I have a couple of sets (got 'em as a gift) and have yet to try 'em out, but they have an excellent rep and are also designed for violin basses.

7. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I use LaBella Beatle Bass strings on my Rogue, and they sound great.

8. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    I use Rotosound RS77S's on my Turser Beatle right now, but they were just a quarter inch too short (but useable) so I'll be putting on the RS77M's when I change the strings out. The Turser is 31-32" scale length rather than the 30" on the Hofner.

I like the gauges of these two though: .040-.090, close to what you were looking for, wasn't it bassmonkey144?

Regards :)

9. yea, thanks for all the advice guys. i didnt expect so many people to play violin basses. heh. im probably gonna go with the pyramids.

10. rbachman

rbachman

Jan 26, 2005
    bassmonkey144,

I have a Rogue violin bass also and I've put D'addario Chromes on it. I'm happy with them but someone in a Beatle tribute band said that Pyramid's should be put on ASAP. He loves the tone of them!!

Have you put the Pyramid's on yet? How does it sound?