Strings give the amp static?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jonasp, Oct 28, 2003.

1. I got new strings a while ago. GHS Infinity Steels. When I play, my amp gets staticy. I figured out that the static occurs when the string touch the fretboard. I can make the static really bad but lightly tapping the string repeatedly to the fretboard. My old Ernie Ball strings never did this.

Does anyone know of a way to remedy this? Is it the type of strings? I really like the strings, so do I just have to learn to live with it?

TIA, Pete
  2. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    you may try to "ground" the electronics in the bass
  3. How do I go about grounding the electronics in the bass?
  4. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey Pete, I had a problem with static while thumping my pbass special and was going to take it to the shop to be looked at. I brought this up to the tech at the shop and he told me to polish the bass! Holy hamburger batman he was right. Some thing about static electricity and the basses body. Needless to say get who's way I will be throwing work towards!
  5. Thanks for the advice. I polished my bass and is still is a little staticy, but it has cut down a lot! Maybe if i polish it again. I used Pledge Furniture Polish. What did you use to polish your bass? Bass polish?
  6. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Guitar polish made by Gibson. It should be available at any music store.