1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Strings Height for using a Pick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by summeralligator, Mar 11, 2018.

1. summeralligator

summeralligator

Jan 14, 2018
    Argentina
    Hi! Here again with a doubt... i'm a pick player and sometimes with a hard touch my low E string buzz. Someone can tell me how can i get that funky bobby vega style with no string buzz and clean notes? i mean, did he uses high action?

By the way, i have a Fender Jazz classic 60's series with .45 D'addario Chromes Flats

2. TuneSalad666

TuneSalad666 Banned

Mar 1, 2018
    Denmark
    I think it mainly depends on your bass, how the neck relief is set, how well the frets are leveled and then of course your technique and how hard you attack the strings.

I often use pick and wouldn't exactly call my attack soft, even then I got no problems with lower action than recommended by the standard Fender setup guide.

Only way to know for sure is trial and error, by setting up your action at different heights and see how low you can go before you get undesired buzz sounds.

Big Shrek, thejusc and LiveToWin like this.
  3. Your strings should not buzz whether used with a pick or not. Raise your action on the offending string only Just to the point it stops buzzing .
    Laurence

Big Shrek likes this.
  4. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    What is your nut height, neck relief, and action currently set to?

Big Shrek likes this.
  5. DD Gunz

DD Gunz

Jun 18, 2015
    California
    Assuming everything in your setup is in order (and that’s a big assumption) you should move the E string up in small increments until the buzzing stops.

That said, if the E is the only string buzzing you could have one or more frets that are slightly higher. See if the buzzing happens all the way up the neck or is limited to a certain area. Knowing where the issue is will help.

Big Shrek likes this.
  6. Michael4bass

Michael4bass

Aug 20, 2011
    Florence, MS
    No, Bobby said in one of his videos (sorry, I don't remember with one) that you should be able to play fingers, pick and slap all at the same volume.

Bassically, Michael