Strings height

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by katulu50, Feb 13, 2006.

1. katulu50

Feb 13, 2006
    Hi my name is Andres I'm from Venezuela i've got a question because i don't have the knowledge for this especific topic, when i bought my guitar bass (jazz bass) I realized that the strings have a separation while i go through the frets, so that separation is higher when i reach the highest frets and its lower in the lowest frets so my main question it's when somebody buy a bass is it necessary to set it up and make the strings go lower and more confortable to the player or it's just a standard level to all the basses, let me say that all the bass players that i've watched playing got guitar basses with the strings in the same lower level so i think is more comfortable and helps the left hand to get some speed. Thanks.
  2. You need to "set up" your bass with the amount of string height that feel right to you and allows you to play comfortably. There are numerous threads in this forum that tell you what to do and how to do it. You can also take it to a repare shop and they will do it (for a charge).

I can tell you that it is not hard but making small amounts of change is the way to go. The truss rod (if you have one) will effect the amount of forward-bow in the neck which effects the string height at the tuning end of the neck. The bridge saddles will effect the height along the neck to the bridge. Too high and it is hard to play, too low and the strings will buzz on the frets.

I know this is way over-simplified but if you look you can find some good advice here in this forum.