1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Strings hitting pickups in upper frets

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by robomatic, Jan 10, 2012.

1. robomatic

robomatic

Jan 7, 2012
    Hey everyone,

I'm a bass noob and I picked up a Peavey T-40 of ebay. I attempted a set-up myself, doing the best I could but when I play in the upper frets, the strings hit the rhythm pickup, on the edge closest to the fretboard. This usually happens around the 14th fret and up on the G string.

It can't be the pick-up height because I've lowered the front pickup so far that if I do it anymore, the screw will back out. I don't think it's the bridge height; if I raise that up the action becomes too high. I've got a slight bow in the neck, as was suggested and my intonation is good.

Perhaps there's something wrong with the neck, or maybe the nut is cut too deep for the string? I can try and take some pictures if that helps you. Thanks!

2. UnfortunAtely there's a learning curve to setting basses up - put everything back to neutral and start over .... Onthe t40 there are several geometry points to optimize

3. Guessing your microtilt and bridge levels are off

4. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    The nut has nothing to do with this.

I agree w/MN, neck angle & bridge height.

5. Could be .... Without seeing it tough to mail order answer

Unfortunately t40 commonly will become filed at the nut - normally the wrong way to get low action

6. Maybe, but if the action is OK, that has to be it. You must find a way to lower the pickup further. Its really that simple, there's no magic to this.

7. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Sound like you need a shim in the neck since you cant lower pup anymore. Perhaps neck is slightly tilted upward rather then toward body like it should be. Maybe even need neck shim across whole neck pocket floor might be needed to raise the neck overall while maintaining same little bit of rearward angle.

8. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Sounds like the neck tilt adjustment is not as it should be. The T-40 has a neck tilt adjustment that sets the angle of the neck. Here's a link to the manual. There is no need to shim the neck. Read the manual and if you are not comfortable making the adjustments, take it to a good tech with a copy of or the link to the manual.

http://www.peavey.com/assets/literature/manuals/80370017.pdf

mech

9. robomatic

robomatic

Jan 7, 2012
    Thanks for the advice guys, I'll try working on the micro-tilt. Do you think I would lose sustain the more I tilt it back (towards the back of the body)?

Also just in case, any recommendations for bass/guitar techs in San Francisco?

10. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Well, if.its already tilted a bit, increasing the tilt more will have little effect. If it is currently flat in the pocket, then yes it may change if you add.tilt. I doubt you'll notice it in a mix.

11. robomatic

robomatic

Jan 7, 2012
    I had some time to mess around with it. Seems like the micro-tilt did the trick. Thanks everyone :)

12. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Good deal! Probably didn't take much, either.

mech

13. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Yep, that's why they're there!

Glad this worked for you.