Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

strings hitting the fret bars?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bluez Dawg, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Hi all. As the topic states, is it ok to hear the strings hit the fret bars? I started to notice this just today.:help:

2. Shawnost

Shawnost It's all about the Hamiltons baby! Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Generally no. Have a quick read of the sticky posts in the setup forum. There is a wealth of information there on setup.

Shawn

3. NO!

Remove your frets immediatly!(or raise action, adjust truss rod..etc.)

This probably also belongs in the setup forum;)

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

This can also be an indicator of poor technique.

5. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    That depends. Do you like the way it sounds?

Incidentally, there is absolutely nothing in the sticky threads in the setup forum that specifically addresses this topic.

Also, if bangin' on the metal isn't acceptable, then how do you explain slap technique?

I bang. A lot. But not all the time.

6. Shawnost

Shawnost It's all about the Hamiltons baby! Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
  7. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    I already folowed both those links. I stil don't see any place where the topic of hitting the frets is addressed, onther than oblique references to fret buzz, which is not at all what I suspect the OP is asking about.

On my Jazz, I play with a relatively high action, and I dig in hard to get the sound I want for the rock music we play. Sometimes this means that my strings whack the frets, giving a very percussive accent to the note. I find this noise perfectly acceptable. In one song, I intentionally smash the strings into the board with my whole hand as a percussive note.

What's wrong with any particular technique, if it gives the sound you're looking for?

8. I like a little fretbuzz when I'm diggin in (be it with a pick or fingers) but generally, no I don't think it's a good thing. I'm in agreement that it could be a technique issue, but I'd first learn how to properly set up your instrument, then work on when and where any fretbuzz would be acceptable in your playing.