Strings hitting the heel side of the fretboard (fretless)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by InfinityJaco, Aug 11, 2001.

1. InfinityJaco

Jun 5, 2001
    I just got a fretless neck off of eBay for my Jazz Bass. It's a mid 80s J neck (factory fretless so no line markers or nothin), I had to do some little "repairs" to it - I had to drill new holes for the tuners because the 80s tuners must be larger than the newer ones (i had to transfer the tuners from my old neck to this one), and I had to hammer the ferrules in and sand a little off the sides of the back of the heel to make it fit tighter. But now the problem is the strings are right on the heel of the fretboard, so I can't play any notes. I've loosened the truss rod a bunch and raised the action almost 4 turns but it doesnt seem to do anything. I got the neck from WA (used) so it may be a climate change problem (I live in PA) but I would think the truss rod may fix that (I let it sit for about 3 hours). It looks like the original owner ground down the nut slots a little for lower action, but I dont think thats the problem with the strings hitting the heel...since there's enough height at the 1st fret. I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions???
  2. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I had this problem on a bass many years ago; I can't even remember what kind it was. It buzzed horribly above the 15th fret or so, even when playing open strings. I tried adjusting the truss rod and saddles, but nothing worked. Mine had a little hump in the fretboard up there, so I sanded down the fretboard up at the top with a sanding block. It worked. If I were you, I would take a straight edge and place it on the fretboard to see if there is a hump.

I hope this helped. Good luck.
  3. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I.J., go to the thread in this forum titled " Neck Geometry 101 (with graphic) "

Your problem sounds like condition C in that thread.

If you need help with the shimming procedure, just yell. There are lots of people that contribute to Set-up that can help.