1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Strings I use on my Modulus Quantum 5

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fenderken, Apr 21, 2009.

1. After an extensive and semi-costly search for the right strings on my Modulus Quantum 5, I talked to the Modulus rep (after many calls and messages). They have D'Addario make their strings for them. I was looking for something with high tension due to the 35" length. The Nicklewound was what they said would do the trick. Come to find out the Pro Steels ended up being exactly what I needed. They have high tension and now make by Modulus sound llike a piano (if needed). By a touch of EQ on the Barolini 3-band eq, it can sound like anything I need for live or studio. The D'Addario's have a pretty good life span as well. Nothing like the DR's but are still reasonable in cost to make worth your wile. Just my:hyper: thoughts and experience (35 years). Ken

2. IdealWay

IdealWay

Oct 18, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    Thanks Ken! I'm looking for a new set right now for my Q5 and have no idea what I want. If I end up getting a set of DRs, which ones would you recommend for the Modulus?

3. If you get the DR's get the Low Riders that have a hex core. The reason for this is the string tension. the High Beams are to floppy and will give you fret noise no matter how high the string is off the neck. Suggested gauge is .045 065. .085, .105, .130. With the D'Addarios I went with the same gauge except .135 on the B. These strings kick A$$. Try them, the cost is great also.Ken

4. IdealWay

IdealWay

Oct 18, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    Have you tried the Fat Beams? I've heard good things about them

5. Fat Beams on a Modulus is crazy. The Quantum 5 already has a ton of bottom end. The Fat Beams tend to get a little muddy. (At least for my taste). Ken

6. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I don't think D'Addario makes a five string set 45-65-85-105-130.
    I wish they did.

7. To get the set I needed,(.045, ,065, .085, .105, .135), you just buy the 4 string set and by the .135 in a single. They are killer sounding on my quantum 5. Ken

8. IdealWay

IdealWay

Oct 18, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    Would you suggest the Nickel plated or Stainless Steel Lo-Riders?

9. IdealWay

IdealWay

Oct 18, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    :confused:

10. IdealWay

IdealWay

Oct 18, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    I went with a set of stainless steel DR Lo-Riders and I freakin' love them! The tension is perfect; it gives me a precision I've never known, and every note all the way down to the low B is defined. Perfect for slap and fingerstyle. It took about 5 minutes to get used to the texture of the stainless steel, but now it feels as natural as anything. A great companion to the Modulus vibe!

11. voodoobassist

voodoobassist Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Tulsa , OK
    For years I ran Dean Markley SR2000 Will Lee's on my Q5. EMG p'ups with the BQC pre,....they sounded incredible on it. Having a hard time finding them now, so have been using DRs,..truth be told,...almost any string I ever tried on this bass sound pretty damn good. It's tough to get a bad tone from that bass. ;)

12. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    When I had my Q5, I loved the D'addario XL170 nickel wounds (super long). Punchy, warm, defined. Great B.

I then tried a set of Nickel Lo Riders. They were very subdued and not to my liking. The B string did not sound very focused (and this is a Q5). I called up DR and told them I had a bum string. They sent me a new string. The second one still sounded bad.

In fact I am gassing for a Q6 with D'Addario Nickels again.

13. Ever think of stringing it E-C? I lost my love for the low B and regained an appreciation for the C