Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strings in bulk

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by thlayli, May 16, 2005.

1. thlayli

thlayli

May 8, 2005
    Cross Lanes, WV
    I think I'm finally seeing the light as far as changing my strings often is concerned, but now I've got another problem. Y'see, I've found myself spoiled by the string gauges on the Fodera Victor Wooten sets, but I can't seem to find anyplace to get 'em in any quantity. The closest thing I could find to the right set in the "popular" brands of strings are the D'Addario XL220's, and even those don't get the gauges quite right (a .060 D instead of .055, a .125 B instead of .120... yeah, I'm picky.)

So I did a little more looking, and saw a couple places where I could get individual strings in bulk, meaning I could just put together any ol' set I want to. The thing I'm worried about is that, with "generic" strings, I could end up having to change my strings every week, which negates the point of buying a large supply of strings in the first place. Sorta like getting twenty sets of "Mars: Musician's Planet" strings and then finding out they sound like rubber bands wrapped in poison ivy and leave little nickel splinters under the skin of your fingertips... if you get where I'm going with the terrible analogy.

Anyway... does anybody have any experience in buying good-sounding strings in bulk? If so, where from? I've spent the last fifteen years settling for strings I'm not completely happy with, and I'm kinda tired of it.

2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Have you checked with a Fodera dealer (or Fodera directly) to see if you can buy the VW sets in bulk?

-Just a thought.
    - Art

3. thlayli

thlayli

May 8, 2005
    Cross Lanes, WV
    I sent an email a couple weeks back, but since I'm still waiting for a reply, I figured I'd check other options just in case. I've got a small stockpile of 4-string sets, but that isn't helping my 5 all that much. :crying: :D

I'll keep checking around. My B-string is so dead right now... but the other four strings sound great.

4. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Hum, I just did a search on this. I just find juststrings.com, but like you said, it's a generic brand. I'd love to buy my strings of choice in bulk. Someone must do this.

5. g04t

g04t

Aug 16, 2004
    Sunnyvale, CA
    I would like to do this as well, anyone have any info on this? No one around Seattle sells ****ing Peavey Cirrus strings.

6. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I sent Juststrings.com an email asking how their bulk strings [their brand] would compare to Ken Smith Bass Burners [nickel]. reason is-the equiv. of 6 sets of their bulk strings would be faaar cheaper than 6 sets of the Burners. The questions i asked included: tone, quality [how long would they last], and general things about the type/sound of the string. I'll post their response when i get it.

That's all

7. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Ok guys, i got the email back. He essentially told me that since people view strings differently they can't tell us one way or the other.

Oh well.