strings keep breaking AHHHHH!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rygelxvi, Mar 4, 2003.

1. rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    I've broken my G string twice in 2 days. Why? It's not so much broken as unwound (or streched out?) over the saddle. I use DRs and have never had a problem with them before. I'm assuming it has some thing to do with the bridge (It's a Warick thumb BO). Any sugesstions on what the problem is or how I can fix it?
  2. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Hmm .I had a similiar problem, it could be the sadles. Maybe you should file the saddles some, make them a little more smooth.
  3. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    i had a similar problem with a peavey foundation american made bass,i brang it to my luthier and he dids some poking around and the actual bridge design and placement was poorly done from the factory, he moved the bridge back a little bit(i dont remember how much) and removed the string ferrels and strung it with lite gauge strings ,it was better but i still was displeased with it and sold it to a local music store:mad:
  4. if you read the first few sentances out of a bass context its pretty funny... haha, you've broken your g string twice in two days... you need to see a tailor man.

Seriously though, check out the saddles, if you have the intonation set a little off things might be a little tight. that'll make em snap easier when you're tuning, but if you're just playing I don't see why they should just snap. Sounds funky to me. And if you're tuning, make sure you're tuning the right string. It sounds obvious and dumb, but I did that right before I was supposed to go on stage for a show once... sad state of affairs.
  5. Next time you install strings, file em down like the others said. Also, I'd like to add that using a pencil and just going over the saddles and nut with it will make the strings run over them smoother and easier. It may even prevent another breakage for a while.