1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Strings loose in the nut?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by kesh, Jul 19, 2012.

1. kesh

kesh

Jul 9, 2012
    Brighton, England
    Changed to flats and noticed a slight rattle in my E when played open, that hasn't gone as the strings have aged.

I'm thinking the string may be loose in the nut. The rattle doesn't sound as if it's coming from the nut, but from the whole string, but I'm thinking the sound would be carried through the whole string.

Fixes? Is a bit of stiff paper in the nut enough? The rattle is very slight.

2. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Take a tiny square of notebook paper and line the nut slot with it. If the rattle goes away, that's it.

The angle of the string over the nut may not be sharp enough. Are there enough string winds on the tuner to put enough downward force on the string?

You can also put a very small drop of super glue in the slot. EBMM suggested that to me over the phone once.

3. Make sure you wind the string around the post downwards, so that it exits from below: that way you increase the angle at the nut and it's usually sufficient, unless you have reduced your string gauge a lot.

4. kesh

kesh

Jul 9, 2012
    Brighton, England
    Thanks guys. Did both things. Fixed.