1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strings making unwanted noise

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by FrozenAngel, Jun 28, 2007.

1. FrozenAngel

FrozenAngel

May 24, 2007
    My 6 stringer's B string just seems to rattle a lot when I play on that string and make it hard to get real sounds instead of just a rattling noise. It's really annoying, is there anything I can do to fix it?

2. El-Bob

El-Bob

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    more specific info would definitely help, but maybe there isn't enough tension on your B-string? it seems to be a common problem on 5&6ers.

3. FrozenAngel

FrozenAngel

May 24, 2007
    It rattles when I play it either way, on a fret or just the open string. The strings aren't more then a month old. It almost looks like its rattling against the frets when I play it, but it's also floppy and does look like more tension would work, but I'm not sure

4. FrozenAngel

FrozenAngel

May 24, 2007
    The bass is a Schecter Stiletto custom 6, and I'm new to this stuff, don't know how to measure relief. But I'll check the sticky.

5. Murderface

Murderface

Jun 24, 2007
    Palm Beach
    My 4 string is doing the same thing, Quite annoying isn't it?

6. also, if the strings are new, you might have gotten a lighter guage and may need to adjust your bass/technique to suit them better

7. FrozenAngel

FrozenAngel

May 24, 2007
    There's almost enough room to get a business card under, but not quite enough

8. FrozenAngel

FrozenAngel

May 24, 2007
    Alright I followed the steps and feel confident I can do it, but my bass has....2 truss rods. I'm guessing I should turn both in the same direction?

9. FrozenAngel

FrozenAngel

May 24, 2007
    The side with the C string is fine, but the B has no relief at all, cant fit anything under it. I tried turning the truss rod counterclockwise, but when I try to remove the wrench, it just sticks and refuses to come out. It seems to lock into place after I turn the nut.

10. Joshua will beat you to near death until you get your relief right....GET 'EM, JOSHUA! :)

seriously, proper relief is very important...

on a related note...I was having some weird sympathetic rattling going on with my B-string on one of my basses (the only one WITH a B-string ;) )...anyway...I would press down on the string in front of the bridge, and the rattle would go for a few minutes...then come back....

I kept doing this for the longest time, until finally I got out my screw driver and put a half turn on the intonation screw...then I got out my trust 1.5mm allen key and tightened my saddle height screws...

problem solved....it no rattle no mo'....

11. FrozenAngel

FrozenAngel

May 24, 2007
    It's the wrench that came with the bass just for this, so I would think it's the right tool.

I would love to have a pro look at it too, but the only place around here is a crappy Guitar Center and I don't trust them after the last few incidents I had there.

12. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Sometimes Allen (hex) wrenchs will have an almost imperceptable burr on the business edge or at one of the points. They can lock up inside a brass truss rod nut and feel like it has been welded into place. Eliminating the problem is simple. The burr can be removed with some 220 grit wet or dry sandpaper. Lay the paper out on a flat surface and move the edge back and forth across the abrasive. Alternately, the paper can be gripped between thumb and forefinger and the leading edge is twisted or scrubbed by the abrasive. The former description is easier on the fingers. Either method will leave a slightly beveled edge that will no longer stick in the nut.

13. FrozenAngel

FrozenAngel

May 24, 2007
    I've got the wrench out, I'm going to try the sandpaper idea, then if that doesn't work I'll look for someone who would be better suited doing this then me.

14. I have problems getting my allen key on and off a truss rod nut on one of my basses...

I don't believe it's the key , because I don't have issues on another bass with the same key ...but to make things easier, I am going to get out my dremel with the flat bottom wheel, and grind a very small bevel on each side of my key, to create a tapered end to facilitate "starting" the key into the nut.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021