1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Strings Not Fitting

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Diluvium, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Diluvium

Diluvium

Jul 25, 2007
    Weymouth, MA
    Hi all, I've been reading up on various topics about strings all day, but I couldn't find this covered. I replaced my strings yesterday and today noticed that the E, A, and D strings' ball end was getting caught on the hole of the tailpiece and not actually snaking through all the way. I loosened the A and D strings and was able to pull them through the tailpiece with no problem, but after loosening the E, I've come to find I can't fit the string through the thin part. I feel like this is kind of a confusing explanation, so I took a picture. (Even though it looks like the A doesn't fit either, I checked the bass and it does, I think it's just the angle I took the picture)

db strings 001.

I'm wondering if this would be particularly bad to leave alone for the bass or the tailpiece. It seems to me like it would be fine, aas there's close to the same amount of tension in relatively the same place. If not, would it be a bad idea to shave this part of the tailpiece down slightly just so the string would fit?

2. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    It looks fine, but I'd like to hear from someone more knowledgeable on the issue.

Mine was similar (though exaggerated since I switched to fifths tuning), and I shaved it down to fit.

3. I don't think it would be awful to file the hole down a little bit. However, you ought to take it to a luthier for a second opinion.

4. jdapodaca

jdapodaca

May 25, 2006
    El Paso, Texas
    I had that problem when I put Bel Cantos on my bass. I filed down the hole a little bit with one of those rat-tail things and it fixed the problem pretty quickly.

5. Have you tried sliding the string in the other way? You know, thread the top end of the string through the back of the tailpiece and pull it all the way through?

6. Diluvium

Diluvium

Jul 25, 2007
    Weymouth, MA
    Thanks everyone for the responses. I think I'll just file it down a bit with a rat tail file.

shostkontrabass: That's actually who I did snaked (snuck?) every string; through the tailpiece first, in which case I still couldn't fit the string through. :D

7. My bad. Didn't catch that. :)

8. davpal

davpal

May 19, 2006
    Lambertville, NJ
    I would file out the slot so that the new thicker string will fit. I think that the stress on the wood of the new string trying to wedge into the too narrow slot could possibly cause it to split.....