Strings not lining up over pups correctly?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mikeyvr6, Aug 20, 2002.

1. mikeyvr6

mikeyvr6 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    Hi all,

A couple months ago I picked up a used MIM Fender Jazz 5 Deluxe and last night decided to throw on a new set of DR Lo-Riders. After stringing and tuning it, I noticed that the B, E and A strings don’t line up over the poles of the neck pickup. They pass over the poles of the bridge pickup fine, and the D & G strings line up fine over both pickups. When viewed from straight above, the B & E strings pass to the left of the poles, not above them at all and half the A passes over it’s pole. I checked over the bridge, saddles, nut, string spacing, etc. and everything looks fine. Maybe it’s just the sound of the new strings, but I seem to get a bit of fahrting when I play an open E, but sounds good when a note is fretted. As this is my first Fender after playing Yamahas for many years I am hoping somebody out there could offer any suggestions as to whether or not this is normal and any tips to try to correct this. BTW—these are the stock pups and bridge.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hm, hard to diagnose without seeing and playing that bass, but I can tell you this:

You can either get a 3D bridge so you can change the string spacing around to fit the pole pieces or get new pickups with a single blade magnet.
    Another possibility is to move the Fender bridge (sideways) - requires drilling.
  3. I'd probalby get the single blade pickups. That is what I'm getting for my Essex jazz. It has the same problem of the poles not evenly lined up with the strings. I've never had any problems with it before, though.
  4. I have EXACTLY the same problems.. the strings do not alight perfectly over the polepieces, that's not a big problem, just not very cosmetical.

but the OOMPH sound on the Open E is very easely corrected by cutting the mids and boosting the lows a little.

i think it's a common thingy. i have checked out Bartolini pickups that fit perfectly in the bass. they have closed cover and slightly better mids. that will probably solve both problems.. i will put them in next month.
  5. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    I had the same problem. What I did, since I had a problem with the volume of some strings being higher than others, is I just lowered the action. But, I like my action low. I then adjusted the heigth of the pick ups on each side to adjust the amount of volume the PU's would receive at each pole. Fortunately I also needed to adjust intonation and was able to have an almost perfect tuning with the strings open, at the 12th Fret and the Volume does not seem to fluctuate at each String.