1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

? strings. not noisy. rock. thud. boom. growl. etc. ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by raul, Jun 13, 2017.

1. raul

raul

Aug 30, 2006
    Planet Earth
    I wonder if nickel would fit the bill? I love a good strong tone. roll off the tone knob on the P bass for more boomy thud etc and also reducing finger noise, and stuff...
    are pressure wounds that string? a best off both worlds kinda thing?
    I've tried many flats, but some of them seem too "sticky" and almost feel like they're slicing my beautiful, precious fingers when I slide, even though I have calloused digits...
    maybe it don't matter and I should just play the bass...
    and drink beer...
    and bourbon...
    and eat pizza...
    and Mexican food with no utensils, just tortillas...
    and...

2. Klonk

Klonk

Apr 28, 2011
    Norway
    Strings that aren't noisy, but that rock? Strings that thud, but also growl? Sounds hard to find :)

FWIW, I like nickel rounds if I play rounds, but I don't know much about pressurewounds. For a strong tone with reduced finger noise, and incorporating most eating habits, I'd suggest a strongly voiced flatwound like TI flats or Sadowsky black label flats. If the TIs are too low tension, try D'Addario Chromes. All IMO.

3. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    GHS Pressurewound or Ken Smith Compressors

fretlessguy and Arthur U. Poon like this.
  4. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Try tapewounds?

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  5. Another vote for the GHS Pressurewounds! Punch and crunch with no zing. Not sure about the thud, though...

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  6. raul

raul

Aug 30, 2006
    Planet Earth
    So, Pressure Wounds over Boomers for mids, punch, crunch etc ? Also thinking about Boomers...

7. Baltimore Bass

Baltimore Bass

Jul 14, 2016
    Baltimore
    I tried GHS pressurewounds, but didn't care for them much. I found them sticky feeling, and a poor compromise between rounds and flats. I LOVE GHS flats, they're super smooth and very musical tone-wise. I can also get a great sound with broken-in nickels and rolling the tone knob off a bit.

8. As of next month, my P will wear the Boomers for the low-mid grind and grunt. Meanwhile, my J will continue with the PWs for smooth punch and crunch.

9. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    I've used Boomers since the 80s, cant go wrong with them. You may, however want to try DR Black Beauties, they give me crunch, growl and great harmonics on my USA PBass. Another route to go, try the Steve Harris Signature Rotosound Flats, tons of mids and punch, get the lower mid growl/thump by rolling off your tone.

10. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    Play a set of nickel Dunlop super brights and never take them off. Nice slick feel. Wonderfully complex, aged tone. Varied technique will give you a flatwound like tone, or some roundwound crunch, all in one string.

The steels age great, as well. It's a different vibe, though. Lotta low mid and more high mid snap.

11. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I use GHS Pressurewounds for Classic Rock and Motown/Stax-Volt R&B, and for me, they're excellent.

Al Kraft and michael_t like this.
  12. I also recommend the GHS Pressure Wounds. They match your description and qualities you have described. I dare you......☺

13. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Yes, mos def

14. raul

raul

Aug 30, 2006
    Planet Earth
    ok, so it's gotta be either Boomers or P Wounds, for sure. on my one and only P bass. I'm thinking of a tone that's kinda chocolate, but also has grit and grunt etc, kinda like a smoke filled room with over filled ash trays, a glass of bourbon and bottles of beer...smooth but gritty...deep, but with grunt and a touch of growl and maybe a hint of grind...but always full bodied like a big booty...

15. This sort of describes my reason for trying out the Boomers on my P after one year with the PWs.

Not that anything is wrong with the PWs, but I'm curious to see if there is something extra the Boomers can offer - call it grunt, grit or grind.