Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

strings of a 5 string on my 4 string bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Fingolfin, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Feb 6, 2004
    The guitarists in my band are using a 7 string guitar, but I play a 4 string bass. So now we have the idea to put the 4 lowest strings of a 5 string bass on my bass. Would this be a good idea? and which strings would be usefull for this?

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    It's certainly been done. Your bass may require a setup, depending on how much the tension changes when you do this. Also, you should check your nut to make sure the larger strings will fit. People have broken nuts by using strings bigger than the nut slots.

As far as strings, I'm not sure if BEAD sets are available. I'm pretty sure Schecter sold some strings under their own name for BEAD tuning, but I don't know if they're still out there. You could, of course, buy a five-string set and chuck the G string.

3. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    Go to Juststrings.com and check out their single string section. Here you can buy single strings in selected brands. Purchase 4 of these strings in the guages/brand you want.

Check the price vis-a-vis a 5 string set too - to cross reference value.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I did it all the time. On a Stingray 4 the crunch was so absurd I loved it, but I had to go back. I wish I had a million dollars. LOL.