Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

strings of comparable size

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by catwood, Apr 28, 2003.

1. catwood

catwood

Apr 26, 2002
    Little Rock, AR
    I have been thinking of investing in the Eudoxa/Oliv Combo on my bass. This will of course involve my luthier resituating things since I'm set up for thin TI Solos right now. I was curious if there was any plain gut D & G's of similar size to the Olivs in case I want to go all out gut up there.
    Also, I noticed Dlugolecki's D & G strings give you a range of string guages to choose from. Does anyone know if the Olivs might fall in this guage range?

2. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    I am currently using the Olive GD/Eudoxa AE string mix. I found it an interesting change from Obligato, although I recon the latter are pretty good at emulating that gut pizz snap. I swithched to gut 'cause I could not stand anymore all that gut on my kid's viola da gamba without giving it a try on the phat'un. Be prepared to retune often (each time someone opens the door!!!), to rise the bridge up to 1/2 inch, and to be struggling for tone with the bow. My suggestion would be to get Eudoxa (silver wound) across the board for a clearer sound. I think that Monte and Adrian have reached the same conclusion, and it would be useful to have their opinion in this thread. Velvet's Anima belong to that same gut league too, and they sounded darn good on Ed's axe.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Even with Ed playing them?

4. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Actually he was hiding behind the piano guy, so maybe it's just some sound in my head, I can't be sure.
    Thx for bringing accuracy to this board, Chris.

Back to our subject and speaking about comparison:
    gotta go practice; just trying to nail down only a fraction of what came out of that bass behind the piano on that memorable day...