Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

strings on a fretless

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ashokan23, Mar 6, 2001.

1. i have a 5 string fretless which i bought recently and the string gauge
    is very light indeed.i play a lot of slap and the tone is very dull
    whereas with my other (fretted) 5 string (which has thick gauge strings)
    the tone is a lot brighter.is the dull tone of the strings (on the
    fretless) due to the thin gauge strings or down to the fact that it is a
    fretless.please reply quickly as i have impending concert dates around
    the uk and am looking to optimise my sound quality.thankyou very much
    for your time.
    marc anthony real
    ashokan23@hotmail.com

2. what kind of fretless?
    i have a pedulla and with its hard fret board you can get a pretty decent sound for slap but it still doesn't compare to any of my fretted. i have a fretted aria pro II with superlights 35-90 and the slap tone is fine.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hi! Welcome to TB!

I doubt that those strings sound dull because of the gauge.
    My guess is that they are simply worn out from abuse by customers who didn't end up buying the bass. And the're probably on there for ages..

Just change the strings with your regular favorites (at least that's what works best for me!)

Slapping on fretless has a totally different sound, of course.

4. Are they flatwound?

That would account for the "dullness" that you mention.

More information on the strings would be helpful. As a cureall, you can go buy new strings. Keep in mind that roundwound strings *may* chew up your finderboard a bit.

FF

5. the strings are warwick black label and its a warwick corvette 5 string fretless.i went and bought a light gauge G string to put on ready for the session on saturday night but i`m worried if it`ll be as good.it`s basically only the G string that`s become noticably dull.it can`t be due to people playing it in the shop because i got it ordered straight from germany and (allegedly) i was the first to try her out.it is a beautifull guitar and i just wish that i knew what i could do to bring out the sound that i desire.please keep suggesting things as i need knowledge.thankyou for the replys ive already got but maybe if i keep giving you all more info then maybe you could help me a little more each time.thankyou all again.

6. I looked at the warwick site, and still can't tell if the stings are flat, round, or half/ground wounds.

Of course, I am not very familiar with warwick, so maybe I am missing something obvious. I state the question again. Are they flatwound strings? flats would be more mellow sounding than rounds, but far friendlier to the fingerboard.

FF

7. warwick blacks are steel round wounds

8. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Agreed, the Black Labels are indeed steel roundwounds, which are about as bright as you're gonna get generally. Depending on your fretboard wood and how much you want your strings eating into the board, you can try other steel roundwounds, like Dean Markley Blue Steels or DR Fat Beams or Hi Beams. For a little less grind, doesn't Dean Markley have a nickel plated steel? While I have an ebony board, which is more resistant than rosewood to erosion from harsh string windings, I use DR Sunbeams which to me offer just enough brightness. But the strings I had on the fretless before the Sunbeams were in fact Warwick Black Labels, and the Warwicks were pretty bright for strings on a fretless. I don't know if you're going to find any string bright enough for you if you're going to do a lot of slapping on a fretless, but I hope you do.