Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

strings on a mike dirnt sig...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Brotha Chris, Jan 15, 2005.

1. he uses ghs boomers...

but i'm trying to find the perfect sound... i've played ernie ball slinkys ever since i started played 2 years ago. i fear that if i continue to only use EBs... i won't be able to find an original sound and i also fear messing up the amazing tuners on this bass.

this may be a dumb question... but is there a term for the threaded ends on some strings? i want to use those type of strings so i don't wear away my tuners. do GHS strings have this? i know the slinkys do not...

thanks in advance for all who help out.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The threaded things on the end of some strings are referred to as the silk. Lacking this isn't bad for your tuners, in fact, for years they didn't have them. Some don't to this day, there's nothing wrong with it. They won't harm your tuners any less.

Yes, GHS Boomers have the silk windings.

Don't limit yourself to one string. I used EB's for a long time, then fell in love with GHS, then LaBella, now I'm playing a different pack for each bass. Get out there and try them.

3. thanks... appreciate it.