1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Strings on a P bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by orestes71, May 1, 2009.

1. orestes71

orestes71

May 14, 2008
    I play a P bass with XL HI-Beams, and I feel there a little too bright. I want some thing thats a happy medium between mellow and bright if thats possible. Anyone has any sugestions?

2. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

Apr 17, 2007
    Danielson, CT
    Here are two.

-DR Black Beauties
    -Diadario Half Rounds

3. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Ernie Ball Slinkys are pretty bright out of the box, but then quickly mellow to a "semi-bright" that I find works very well for the styles I primarily play (country, blues, classic rock and contemp. Christian worship).

4. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    I've tried a bunch on my P and really like Ken Smith Compressors. They are close to rounds in sound and feel but with reduced zing.

5. precision punk

precision punk

Mar 15, 2009
    basically any type of nickel plated string is bright but warm. the HI beams are probably steel

6. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I love Fender 7250s on my P which are nickel plated. But I agree it sounds like you need a nickel plated steel such as the 7250s, DA XLs, Boomers, Slinkies, Sadowsky Blue Nickels, etc.

7. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    If you like the feel of the highbeams, try Sunbeams in the same gauge.

8. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

+1 on the Sunbeams. Very warm and clear roundwound.

9. I really like DR nickel low-riders on my Fender P bass. I agree that the Hi-beams sound a bit bright.

10. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    DR Sunbeams
    SIT Silencers

11. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    I always loved the sound of semi-dead SS LoRiders on a P. You know, the sound you get after they've been boiled or alcohol bathed several times. You still have a little bit of zing up top, but they're starting to get thumpy. DR's are better for this than Rotos, because they stay at that particular point longer.

Ljazz

12. +1 on the Black Beauties
    +1 on the Sunbeams!

13. bassforce

bassforce Guest

Feb 7, 2007
    Could you advice me roundwound strings with extra low tension?

I loved Hi beams 40-100, but they are too bright and not "ballsy" enough ;)
    I have TI Flats, but I'd like to have rounds from time to time.

14. I don't know about on a P but for low tension... La-bella tape wounds are a neat feeling... or just wait till you have a set of really dead string... they will get loose on you.

15. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
  16. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I like the nickel LoRiders and the Sunbeams but the big surprise came last month when i put on a set of DR Jonas Hellborg's. Growl and piano tones!!!! Quite unique string and just what I was looking for. Just to clarify this is a parts Pbass and the pickup is from a '96 G&L SB2.

17. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    if the dr hi-beams are too bright give them a few weeks to break in. i find once they lose the initial brightness that i like, they still sound great!

or, just check out ss lo-riders. tension will be a bit greater, and their initial zing will be gone within a day or two and then it's deep/dark sounding. my D tuned p-bass has them and sound great.

18. cacio

cacio

Apr 24, 2005
    Italy
    dr lo rider nickel
    ti flats

19. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    +1 for ken smith compressors