1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

strings on a pbass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by hxcpunkbass, Apr 29, 2006.

1. hxcpunkbass

hxcpunkbass

Apr 29, 2006
    what gauge strings should i put on my pbass which will allow me to drop it to drop d and drop c without it causing too much fret buzz?
    also, does heavier gauge strings make a more punchy sound?

2. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    A heavier gauge will cause a higher tension string thus reducing fret noise if your that concerded. What you can do since you like drop tuning is get strings for a 5-string bass just a normal 45-130 or something and string your bass B-E-A-D instead of E-A-D-G. Then to reduce fret noise you can raise your action.

NOTE: D'addrio's in my opinion are the highist tension strings

3. 45-130's should be fine, but like HELLonWheels187, you've got to tighten your truss rod, because chances are that will be a large increase in tension on the neck.

If you don't know anything about truss rods, you should go to your nearest guitar luther/tech and ask them. They might even show you how to do it yourself.

A thicker gauge will result in a thicker timbre.

Same principle when you play a C on your 3rd fret A string, and 10th fret E string. Same pitch, different timbre.

4. hxcpunkbass

hxcpunkbass

Apr 29, 2006
    alright, shot shot!