Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

strings on a stingray

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by nathan, Jul 22, 2004.

1. nathan

nathan

Jul 16, 2004
    I bought a stingray bass off ebay about a year ago. I got it for cheap because the neck had a slight bump in it. The bump only mad a couple frets buzz, but you could only here it without an amp. Anyway, thats beside the point. What type of strings should I buy for it? I have no idea. I slap a lot, so if theyre any good strings for slapping, let me know.
    Thanks
    Nathan

2. EB Slinkys?

3. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

heres a thread that i started for almost the same reason

4. They don't seem to be very popular anymore, but I think Dean Markley Blue Steels both bring out the growl and lo-end of a Stingray pretty good. The EB Slinkies are fine to. DR's are great, and probally the best for slapping (but I wouldn't know, since I don't slap much), I especially liked Fat-beams.

5. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
  6. any roundwounds (not Hartke...utter crap). I'm currently using EB Regular Slinkies and they work perfectly and my cousin uses them on his Stingray also.

7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
  8. BassFiddle63

BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    Oklahoma
    D'Addario "Chromes" :)

9. I suggest the Thomastik-Infeld Strings Power Bass Series.

http://www.thomastik-infeld.net/start/

POWER BASS SERIES

Price List & Ordering Info

[​IMG]
    Treena

10. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    Treena,

Have you had a chance to try out the new TI superalloys? I wonder how they would compare to the Powerbass and which would sound best on a Stingray? Any comments?

11. Yes, I have a set on my 74 Jazz bass as we speak. I find them to be a nice combination between the Power Bass Series and the Jazz Flats. Not quite like the Jazz Rounds though, different feel and sound.

I have gigged with them two nights so far and I'm doing a recording session this evening at 7PM. I'll post some samples at my soundclick.com account after the session tonight, if you would like to hear what they sound like.

I'll do a rough mix of just the bass and maybe add the drums and guitar so you can hear how they sit in a rough mix! Okay?

It'll will be late when I return, but I will post back with a link, or follow my sig line to hear the rough results.

[​IMG]
    Treena

12. BassFiddle63

BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    Oklahoma
    How is the tension on the new TI's compared to the Powerbasses? Are the new TI's brighter or warmer sounding than the Powerbasses?

13. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    Thanks, Treena. As usual, you're awesome!

14. BassFiddle63, IMHO, I would say the TI super alloys have or create a tad more tension than the Power Bass Series. I also feel they are not as bright sounding as the Power Bass Series but are not as midrange thumpy as the TI Jazz Flats.

I think I would need to have all three sets of strings (maybe 4 counting the Jazz Rounds) take the same bass, restring it with each new set, do a couple of sessions to break them in and then record each set separately to give you a fair listen............I'm willing to do this and post my results as clips, so each of you can hear the difference. I'll need a little time to complete the task if anyone else is interested in a comparision.............let me know. I will be happy to do it!

fresnorich Go to Blues Obsession, this is one of the tracks we cut last night, remember it's just a rough mix but you can hear the bass very well.

[​IMG]
    Treena

15. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    On my Ray5-i've played the following: EB Slinkies, D'Addario, Dean Markley Blue Steel, GHS Boomers, and Ken Smith Bass Burners. I definately dig the Bass Burners-they're whats on now and to me ears, they sound a bit brighter than the Slinkies & D'Addario [their XL soft 5 set], yet not as bright as the Blue Steels. The boomers were very similar to my ears. The catch-the Smith's are the lightest gauge i've ever played-it's their 5 string light set vs. i was playing 45-130 for the most part [w/the exception of the Blue steels-i had the set w/the 128 B]. Also-the Smith's were some of the most cost effective strings-i paid $25 for a 5 string set and they have lasted longer than the Slinkys. It's just been my experience that i can go through sets of Slinkys where i break strings in no time-maybe a week, yet i get sets where they last a few months. However-i prefer the Smiths so far, i might try the Slinkies again sometime as they have came out w/different gauges on the 5 string sets now. :)

I hope that could help some even though you play a 4 string.

16. That would be awesome Treena. Please do :hyper:

17. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I like SIT rock bright steel strings the best they last a long time and they feel very tight I hate floppy strings. As far as blue steels strings go I think they go dead faster then any other string I can think of but that’s just my 2 cents.

http://www.sitstrings.com/product1.htm :D

18. BassFiddle63

BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    Oklahoma
    Whenever you can get the time Treena that would be cool. Sounds like I need to try a set of the new TI's. If they perform as well as the TI Flats I know I'll like them. Thanks for your input :)

19. Almost finished. I'll post back here with the link by Sunday at the latest.

This is really turning out to be fun, I am actually getting to hear each set side by side and I'm surprised at the tones I'm getting with everything set flat!

Check back on Sunday August 1st for the results...........

[​IMG]
    Treena

20. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    When I experimented with strings for my Ray I found that most nickel steel strings worked the best. Inparticular Dean Markleys gave me a nice mid voice to work with. Stainless strings made the bass sound brittle and thin.