Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strings on a Thunderbird.....Roto's ???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Dallyd31, Feb 14, 2006.

1. I have a Gibson Thunderbird and was wondering if anyone has used Rotosound Swingbass on them and how they sound ( .45-.105) I am alss considering DR Hi Beams. Any other suggestions on good sounding .45-.105 strings for the Thunderbird ???

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Hey Dally...I'm actually recalling now...the strings on the bird are DR Marcus Miller Fat beams, not Hi Beams. Sorry for the mistake! Sometimes I use so many different strings, I forget what is on what.

3. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Dally,

I use DR Hi beams exclusively now and knowing the Thunderbird bass quite well, I think they would fit perfectly and not eat your frets like the Roto`s might do.

4. Cheezwiz

thanks for the tip........I actually quite like the strings that are on it and never considered using DR's before...........until now. I usually used Swingbass, but wondered how they would sound on the Bird.

5. Dadaracer

Dadaracer

Feb 19, 2006
    i have an epiphone thunderbird and i really like the strings it originally has, does anybody know which strings epiphone uses?

6. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    I recently put DR Black Beauties on my ebony T-Bird. I like them a lot when using a pick. I'm not much of a finger style player so I can't really speak for that.

7. stefandisgust

stefandisgust

May 28, 2006
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Spector Basses-New Artist
    The epis come with epiphone 45-105s