1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Strings on an FSR 70's Jazz Bass/FSR Precision Bass(GC Special)?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Justbleazy, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Justbleazy

Justbleazy

Apr 3, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Hi, I've had my FSR 70's Jazz Bass for almost 4 months now and I want to know what type of strings are on the bass as it gives a really nice snappy sound to my tone. The strings aren't high tension so I'm assuming a medium light set is being issued with the Guitar Center FSR's.

All I know is that the strings have brass balls at the end. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Justbleazy

Justbleazy

Apr 3, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Update: After 2 wks. of researching, still nothing. The Fender strings have the colored ball ends so its definately not Fender or D'Addarios. If any GC salesmen or any vets know anything please help a fellow bassman out. I tried the 7250ML's and they sounded "lifeless" with a lot of zingy-ness to them.

3. Justbleazy

Justbleazy

Apr 3, 2011
    Houston, TX
    So I contacted Guitar Center today and they can't even find what strings are on my bass. Oh well, the strings on my active J allow me to get a sound very similar to these videos:

Of course I don't half of this kid's chops but I can get very close to his tone though. Again, any recommendations would be helpful. Thanks!

4. funkybass

funkybass

Oct 19, 2006
    Indiana
    They are most likely fenders. Why wouldn't fender put their brand on?

5. Justbleazy

Justbleazy

Apr 3, 2011
    Houston, TX
    It's weird right? The Fender strings that I purchased goes as followed:

E String - Brass (Gold)
    A String - Candy Apple Red
    D String - Nickel (Silver)
    G String - Seafoam Green

The strings currently on my bass all have brass (gold) ball ends. I'll try to contact Fender about the strings and I'll post up what I find.

6. I believe have answer. I just researched strings for a 62 Jazz fretless I own, as well as for a friend who purchased a RW P awhile ago. We loved strings on RW, an I just purchased an American Deluxe 5, it's strings also great, but not same as RW, mine pastel versions of D'addario colors. His brass. Because GC was outta my usual strings, I started lookin for alternatives. Found info, unexpectedly, from Just Strings .com, in their product descriptions. Three types of Fender strings. Steels, which basses don't ship wit, an two types of nickels, round core an hex core. One nickel plated steel set seems ta ship wit vintage styled instruments, wit colored ends. Hex core. One, apparently, for more modern instruments, brass ends an round core. I don't know if a pattern exists fer what string type ships wit what bass. That only a guess. From my experience workin at Fender dealer. But, there are two types of strings. One colored, one brass only. I've forgotten details, go to Just Strins' site, look at all Fender atring product descriptions.
    An just for record, I bought 7250Ms, steel wit nps outer wrap, .45-.105, hex core, I believe, fer my 62 fretless, based on the descriptions. I've owned an worked on this bass fer 20 odd years. It's never played or sounded this good. If they last at all, i'm a convert.

7. FunkRenegade

FunkRenegade

Jul 7, 2012
    7250 are hex core, 8250 are round core nickel plated. New 8250 come with colored balls as well.

Do the strings with brass balls come silk wrapped?

8. Justbleazy

Justbleazy

Apr 3, 2011
    Houston, TX
    The Nameless - Thanks for your informative response, I'll check out just strings.com next.

Funk Renegade - No, but I'm not 100% sure though, I was trying to upload pics but I guess TB is having some issues atm.

9. Justbleazy

Justbleazy

Apr 3, 2011
    Houston, TX
  10. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    It is common for bit name stores to have generic or bulk strings that they put on instruments to sit on the wall...

some big name string companies sell "shop bulk" strings. That most likely is what's on there...

11. Justbleazy

Justbleazy

Apr 3, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Interesting....just my luck, these are the best strings I've played and they are generic strings lol. Any recommendations for a nice jazz tone? Should I post an mp3 of how my bass sounds with these strings?:hyper:

12. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    I'm not saying they ARE but just that they may be.

If you can measure from ball end to the end of the winding we can figure out what strings have that winding length.

13. Justbleazy

Justbleazy

Apr 3, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I measured the strings last night (busy week for me) and only the E and A strings had those winding ends where as the D and G string did not have any.:meh:

The E string is: 37.5 in
    The A string is: 38.5 in

I hope this helps a little.

14. Justbleazy

Justbleazy

Apr 3, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I've sent an email to Fender as well, so I'll post their response...if I ever get one.

15. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    37.5 / 38.5 is where the string steps down a winding and becomes thinner? or is that where the tuning posts are?

16. Justbleazy

Justbleazy

Apr 3, 2011
    Houston, TX
    37.5 is where the string (noticeably) gets thinner.

17. Justbleazy

Justbleazy

Apr 3, 2011
    Houston, TX
    So.....a week later and a couple of emails to Fender, they are saying that all of their Fender basses are shipped with 7250M's or 7250ML's. However, I went to my local GC today and low and behold......the mystery strings that I've been looking for are on all of the Fender basses. So I ask the GC rep about the strings on the Fender basses and of course she said that they are Fender strings, but after explaining to her that I've purchased the 7250ML's already and they are not the same strings on the new Fender basses.

After some help, the GC reps said the 8250M's are the strings on the Fender basses but of course that conflicts with what Fender says but oh well. Can anybody shed some light on whether or not the 8250's have brass end balls?

18. stanley00

stanley00

Mar 15, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    I would ask the GC which kind of bulk strings they use to change the strings on the floor models. If you bought it from the store off of the wall, it's possible they changed the strings on it before you bought it. I've seen them do it here.

19. Justbleazy

Justbleazy

Apr 3, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Thanks, I'll call and ask them tomorrow.

20. FunkRenegade

FunkRenegade

Jul 7, 2012
    8250 are tapered for string thru body. I tried a newer set and they dont sound like the original fedner strings. I love the old 7250s much better.