Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strings on bridge getting progressively lower...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by PinkFloyd76767, Apr 24, 2004.

1. Hello everyone,

I was just comparing action with my friend and I noticed that all the strings on my bass have progressively lower action the higher up on the strings I go. For example my low E (all on the 20th fret) is about 1/8 and a 1/2 inch, the A is at about an 1/8th inch, the D is about 1/16 and a 1/2 inch, and the G is about 1/16th of an inch.

Is this uncommon or should I change it? I think I've always had it this way. Could this possibly hurt my playing in some way?

Thanks.

2. In a word: Feel! How does it feel for you when you play it? Myself I like my strings to be fairly level in relation to one another, a low action and a fast neck. Mainly, this whole setup thing, beyond a few necessary parameters, is all about preference. If you feel like your fingers are "tripping" over themselves as you pluck and pop...maybe you need to consider re-aligning. If it feels good...I wouldnt change a thing!