Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strings on frettless jazz

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mangeswe, Sep 5, 2004.

1. mangeswe

mangeswe

Feb 24, 2004
    Ystad, Sweden
    Hi
    got a frettless jazz bas (fender copy) and can´t decide what strings i´m gonna put on it. Heard that flatwounds suppose to be great on frettless... is this true?...
    thanks

2. Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats (you'll love 'em!)

- Wil

(Actually, Pyramid Golds are very nice also…)

3. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    It depends on what sound you want. I have tried flats. I have tried nylon covered Rotosounds. My preference is for GHS Boomers. Depends on what sound you want and the style of music you are playing. There is no set rule.

4. mangeswe

mangeswe

Feb 24, 2004
    Ystad, Sweden
    Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats
    sound great... but i´ve never seen them! not that i know.
    are they hard to find or have i just missed them?

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  6. Over here (NE USA) Juststrings.com have them in stock - I would have thought you'd have no problems getting them on that side of the pond… Have a look around on the web. Good Luck!

- Wil

7. Fender 9050 flats are nice if you like high tension and warmth.

8. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I like the Fender Black Nylon Tapewounds on my Warwick fretless. Light tension for being on the thicker side (0.110 to 0.058). I prefer 0.105 to 0.045 normally. Nice warm woody sound. The normal steel fender flats have too much tension for my liking.

Alan

9. thumper63449

thumper63449 Guest

May 22, 2004
    Downwind of Tacoma
    Ken Smith Compressors have a little bit of the roundwound zing, but play more like flats. I have used them on my Carvin fretless for a couple of years now and I swear by them.