1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strings on Ken Smith Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Sithian, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Sithian

Sithian Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2008
    New Jersey
    I just got a beautiful Ken Smith BSR6P bass and it needs a setup. Can anyone please offer advice-

For example, can I use any string on this bass or do I need to use Ken Smith strings? I already have sets of DR and MTD taper core strings that I can use, but am not sure if this would be optimal.

How high should I set these pickups up?

Also, it has an ebony board that needs to be cleaned up - any suggestions on this and on polishing the bass?

Thanks in advance!

2. billbern

billbern

Sep 11, 2004
    Daytona Beach, Fl
    Endorsing: Inearz In-ear Monitors
    I've owned Ken Smith basses since '85 and I've tried many different strings on them, both tapered and non-tapered. But i keep coming back to Ken Smith Custom Balanced tapered Stainless. it just seems they are the perfect match.
    Bill

3. Sithian

Sithian Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2008
    New Jersey
    Thanks billbern,

Would non-Ken Smith polish damage the oil finish on the instrument? Any advice as to care for an ebony fretboard?

4. Hajime

Hajime

Jan 18, 2003
    Tokyo
    I think any strings work with Smith Basses, but please try to use Ken Smith Taper Core strings (AA-TCRM) once. This has optimum balance and feel for your Smith.
    And bottom & High of TCRM will go for mid range of Ken Smith. These combinations may fine, I think.

Also, Classic Wax polish is best for your oil finish & fingerboard. Not Ken's pro formula polish.

5. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    I have used Ken SMith strings on my smiths (all different kinds) ((mainly slap masters and rock masters)) Sometimes comressors...

They are great strings over all...

Many other strings sound dead on any bass you put them on...

Ive never once waxed or oiled either of my smiths...

6. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    I currently use use DR Xtra-life coated (tapered)... but for a long time I use Smith custom balanced taper cores. Both great choices. To me the DR's sound and feel smoother but the Smith's were also wonderful