1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Strings on various basses...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ThudThudThud, Aug 8, 2012.

1. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    I want some advice here. I don't want to start a war of which bass is better, and certainly not which bass is better for metal.
    I also realise that I could experiment, and that's an option, but I wanted to get some opinions on WWTBD (What would Talkbass do)?

I'm playing in a four piece (singer, guitarist, drummer, bassist) playing hard rock originals.

Basses:
    1. Warmoth Walnut Jazz, 60s spacing, SD Hot Stack Jazz p'ups, RW fingerboard. Currently strung with Rounds.
    2. Custom Mahogany/Maple cap Precision with Jazz pickups, 500k pots, wired parallel/series, EMG select Jazz p'ups, RW fingerboard, currently strung with Rounds.
    3. Squier 60s CV Precision, RW fingerboard, stock. Currently strung with Chromes Flats.

I've been experimenting with the flats on the P, and I like the sound. The CV sounds awesome in the band mix, but I'm thinking I might go back to Rounds.
    Would it be better to go rounds on the P, and put the flats on the custom P with Jazz pickups?

Thoughts?

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I'm in the minority here with this, but I strongly prefer rounds on a P. They just work better for my sound that way.

Since you've got 2 J basses, I'd try running flats on one and rounds on the other.

You may end up going back, or going all rounds in the end. That's what I did. 4 P basses, 2 originally strung with rounds...2 with flats. I found that the basses with flats weren't getting the playing time the others were, so now they're all rounds. Nickel rounds on two, and SS on another, flats remain on the fretless.

3. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    You have the tonal spectrum pretty much covered with your existing configurations.

Record your rehearsals or gigs with different basses. That will tell you what you need to know. Trust your ears.

4. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yes. Trust your hands, too. Whatever feels good and sounds good to you is where it's at.

There are an awful lot of players on TB, and a question like yours will only invite dozens, if not hundreds, of conflicting answers. All those answers will be right for somebody, but only your hands and ears can tell you what's right for you.

5. kimokeo

kimokeo

Jul 7, 2009
    I have a 77 P-Bass I have owned for many years. It has seen many varieties of flats and rounds through the years. The one string it always goes back to is Roto 66's. I finally just quit changing and use the 66's exclusively. They suit my hands and ears best and that is all that matters. Go with what suits you best and be happy with your decision.

6. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Thanks, everyone.
    And thank you MODS for putting it squarely where it should be. Sorry about that.

I'm thinking the P back to Rounds, the P with Jazz p'ups to Chromes Flats, and leave the Jazz with Rounds.
    The P with Jazz p'ups has series wiring so I can get a humbucker sound if needed. I like the piano like tone of it (the 500k pots added something), but it 'could' be tamed a little with Flats.

More basses is the answer, but 'er indoors probably will disagree.

7. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yessss.... :)

8. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Update:

So the final configuration is....

Flats on the two with Jazz pickups, rounds on the Precision.
    The result is that the Precision has a lovely growl again. I did like the Pino-like sound of the flats, but I missed that growl. Very rock'n'roll.

The basses with J pickups have flats, and the p'up configuration enables articulation through many sounds. I'd never tried flats on a Jazz before, but it sounds soooo good!
    In series mode, the sound is monstrous (in a good way!).

The basses have never sounded better. As I restrung each one I plugged in and played for a while. Everything made me smile.

9. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Update:

Took the P with J p'ups to band practice last night.
    The low end was huge. It's exactly what was needed. It filled out the sound of our four piece (one guitar, bass, drums, vocals).

Sustained notes are MASSIVE! Adding dirt is 'other worldly'!

I'm sold on the Jazz with flats thing.