Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strings on your Modulus.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tryxx, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Tryxx

Tryxx Sputnik Forums: Bass Mod

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    I'm speaking to those primarily with the Quantum neck, but feel free to chime in if you have the Genesis.

I've read, in several places on just random reviews, that many Modulus users prefer the stock D'Addario strings to anything else they may have used. I'm assuming the nickle strings help tame some of the natural brightness that comes from the neck.

I just changed the strings on my Q6 for the first time because I had gotten a good deal on some Elixers. While the tone is different, I still have that same even tone all across the neck. All that has really changed is that the "brightness" of the tone has become more dynamic. I think I've liked this change for the better.

Simply regarding what I've heard, does anyone else have an opinion on them?

2. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I think most guys prefer D'Adds on their Q's because they are the original equipment strings.
    I have a Q5 that has had every string known to man on it at one time or another.

You're right, the nickels do take some of the edge off and the coated strings (Elixer and D'Add) take even more edge off. If that is the direction you are going in you may want to try a set of flats. I've tried four different kinds of flats and have found that the D'Add Chromes work best for me. They seriously smooth out the top end of a Mod Quantum. I am primarily is fingerstyle player and while you can slap with the flats they are not ideal for slap.

3. Tryxx

Tryxx Sputnik Forums: Bass Mod

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    I've been thinking about putting some Chromes on my Q6, and while I don't slap much on this bass, (purely because the string spacing) I do various tapping. I need a little bit of that natural bright end with my tone. That's one thing I love about this bass, I don't have to fix any EQ to get that.

Thanks for the advice!

4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I love DR high beams .45-.125 on my Q5. The flexible feel of the strings really complements the 35" scale, and the growly tone brings out the personality of the bass. On its own, flat EQ, the sound is "a little much", but pulling out some high mids at the amp transforms the tone into a deep, modern, complex tone that works well on all kinds of different tunes. Its got a great snap when you dig in fingerstyle.

I've recently been trying some Sodowsky Nickel extra-longs, and they have a great feel on there too. More mellow and balanced without EQ, stiffer feel. Unfortunately I havn't had any gig experience with them yet since the back bow in my neck has been getting worse :mad: