1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

strings popping out the nut when detuned

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by monkeyhanger123, Apr 16, 2011.

1. monkeyhanger123

monkeyhanger123

Apr 16, 2011
    i recently bought a fender jazz aerodyne bass, which by the way is fantastic in every way. when i bought it, it was set up beautifully in standard. However i am in a couple of bands and in one of them, i detune to drop Db. This is fine, it still sounds and plays great, but i played a show not so long ago and while i was on stage i kept having to push the bottom two strings back into the nut as they kept popping out, which was massively frustrating. i know i was playing harder than i usually would, but i have never had this problem on any of my previous basses.

what is the best way to remedy this??

ive been recomended, sanding the nut down a bit - but i thought that may lead to buzz on the frets and make the intonation go out. i dont know...
    ive also been recomended to get a new set of heavier strings.

any suggestions would be gratefully received.

cheers

2. AmadeusXeno

AmadeusXeno

Mar 8, 2011
    Maine
    Heavier strings is probably your best choice. Fender basses have a flat head stock which doesn't put as much tension over the nut as an angled head stock. The only other thing I can think of that might help is getting the bar thing (forgot exactly what it's called) that holds down all 4 strings. It goes between the nut and tuners. For an example look at the Fender Steve Bailey signature model. Hope this helps.

3. Hi.

Welcome to TalkBass monkeyhanger123.

Heavier strings is always the logical remedy when detuning causes any issues, but a string tree will help as well.

Regards
    Sam

4. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    If you intend to switch between standard and dropped on the low string only I'd suggest selecting a gauge that is appropriate for Eb/D# or D.

This way you aren't horribly loose at Db nor too tight at E and you are likely to have that string remain seated in that nut slot as well.

I like .112 for D - if you are aiming at Db a .115 would be good. To switch between E and Db you might want to consider a .110 or so.

If you are retuning the entire set you'd need to split the difference on each of your strings.

5. That bar thing is call a string tree, might help, cheap to try, couldn't hurt.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021