Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strings Popping Out?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by darkfish01, Sep 2, 2005.

1. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    Hello all. I just installed a set of flatwounds (1.05-0.40) and whenever I hit open A, the string pops off of the nut! I think that since there is only one revolution around the tuning head, it is placed up a little higher than the other strings. What should I do? First thought would be to file the nut down so that it sat farther down in there, but knowing me there is probably an easier way.

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Try re-winding the string so it goes a bit lower and makes a better break angle over the bridge...or get a new string so you can get a few more windings on there.

Otherwise, you could:

Get a string tree.

Get another nut.

Neither of which sound like a great option when it comes down to it.

Just get a new, longer string.

3. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    Can you buy XL flatwounds by the string, or do they just come in a set?

4. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
  5. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    It wouldn't really matter if it wasn't XL, would it?

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I bet you wouldn't notice much difference if it wasn't an XL.

7. What bass is it? Don't file the nut unless you're sure this is the problem. A good rule of thumb is that approx. 1/2 the string should be sitting in the nut slot. If you already have that (or close) the nut isn't the problem. That gauge of strings is pretty standard, so I'm thinking the nut should accomodate that size string, but if you notice the string riding ON TOP of the nut with a gap below it and the bottom of the nut slot, filing might be the answer.
    If you do not have an angled headstock (Fender P or J type don't), it's best to follow BurningSkies recommendation. The strings need to be wound from top down. This keeps more tension across the nut and helps with fret buzzing problems as well. The more wraps, the farther down the string is, and more tension on the nut.
    If the headstock is angled back (many are), then it doesn't really matter if the strings are wound top down. In that case, it would probably be a nut-slot problem.

I usually keep at least 3 wraps on every string..

Mag...