Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strings recommended for Metal

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by teprodic, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Hey what's up everyone. I just added some brand new EMG's on my bass and it's about time I change strings. What strings would you guys recommend for a good deep low metal sound. Kind of like the sound like Fieldy's bass or the guy from Cannibal Corpse. What strings should I get? Please Help!

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You ough to try some metal strings. But seriously, DR's are great for that. That, or markleys.

3. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    DR's, if you want good lows without compromising the mids and highs get the Low Rider Stainlwess Steel not nickel. I like .45 - .105's. I see you play an Ibenez with EMG's. I love the Low Riders on my Spector with EMG's.

4. ryuujin

ryuujin

Jun 1, 2003
    Delaware, OH
    I play DR Marcus Miller Fat beams .45-.105 and I love em. I pretty much play only metal and rock so they are about perfect.

5. blaire

blaire

Jul 15, 2003
    The land of Rice
    Slap some Rotosounds on! Seriously I think they are great. I know lots of people think they are jazz strings, but I swear by them and I play all sorts of **** from pop to death metal and they are the best for me. :D

6. ryuujin

ryuujin

Jun 1, 2003
    Delaware, OH
    hey blaire I just noticed that your location says you are in japan. if so where are you? just interested because I am going to be in Osaka in January and was wondering if there are any good bass gear shops around there.

7. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    \

DR's Low Rider or Fats are both great. Rotos are cool for about a week or two but they die relativly quickly in my opinion, I still like DR's but thats just me.

8. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    Go to ebay and there is one company that sells these strings. Buy the Markley skullbusters. I.E. Misfits strings. I have played alot of strings nothing, and I mean nothing is as 'CRUNCHY" as these strings. I know Misfits strings are kinda hokey, but trust me, they are incredible. The guy has a special deal, where you buy 2 sets, you get one free. It is a great deal. It is like $45 for 3 sets of awesome strings. Later Joe

9. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    If your really a metal player, this is the best advice any metal player would give you.

If you play metal, strings go by pretty fast (Sweat, hard plucking or picking,) your gonna have to have a fat wallet to pay for all these strings that cost more for no reason.

If you want long lasting bright tone, SIT's are very good, and while those other strings are very good strings, sometimes it's just not practical.

I'd get 5 erine ball sets before I spent any money on one set of DR's that would go dead on me in a week.

10. ryuujin

ryuujin

Jun 1, 2003
    Delaware, OH
    I've been playing my DRs for about 4 months and they sound good enough even still. You just need to clean them about once a month and they should last about 5 or 6 months unless you are a REALLY aggressive player.

11. blaire

blaire

Jul 15, 2003
    The land of Rice
    Yo Ryuujin, sorry it took so long to reply to this thread. I live about 2 hours from Tokyo so nowhere near Osaka sorry. If you go to Tokyo though you could go to "Ochanomizu" Which has heaps of music shops! Yes its my favorite place. P.S I went to see Metallica last night and they were awesome!!! Played all the old stuff.

12. Thanks for all your help guys. I think I'll be getting the DR LOWRIDERS. I went to DR's website and I saw that Hatebreed's bass player uses those same strings and I like how his bass sounds so that made me want to get those and the fact that many of you suggested those strings as well. I think I'll be getting the mediums. So thanks for all your help again!

13. ryuujin

ryuujin

Jun 1, 2003
    Delaware, OH
    Sweet! Thx for the info. If I do make it over to Tokyo I'll be sure to check it out.

14. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    DR steel lowriders rule and they seem to last forever. Good choice.