Strings ring out while playing.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by baddarryl, Jan 23, 2009.

1. baddarryl

baddarryl

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    I am pretty new to finger style, but am starting to get the hang of it. I have found that often if I am playing stuff on the D and G strings for a while the A will ring just from vibration of playing. It is starting to annoy me. How do you guys silence that string? I use my thumb on the E and then pluck the D and G with alternating index and middle fingers. What is the best way to silence that open A? Just move the thumb down? Seems easier said than done at this point. Thanks.

2. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    I would consider floating the thumb down to the A string to silence the ringing. You can also use your left hand to mute the A in between notes on the D and G strings.

3. Roadman

Roadman

Mar 26, 2008
    It's hard to explain, but just rock your left ( fretting) hand back (toward you) a little to mute the other strings with the meat of your fingers that you are not using.

4. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    The best solution would be floating your thumb and using that to mute, or anchoring your thumb on the A whilst playing on the D, on the D whilst playing on the G. If you want to be lazy, you can always mute the A with your pinky or ring finger, but it's poor technique and prevents you from using that finger for anything else.

5. Framus-bass

Framus-bass

Jan 23, 2009
    Just rest your thumb on A like you do E. Jack Bruce of Cream does that alot.

6. sir juice

sir juice

Sep 11, 2006
    London, England
    The best solution is Todd Johnson's version of the floating thumb, it's easier to get the hang of than resting your thumb on E and A strings and more effective.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PPVMBPmrblU

7. Sounds like sound advice, but I just rest the thumb on the A. Yeah, it may feel a little odd, but just like any technique thing it becomes muscle memory over time. However, since you are not "muscle memorized" and don't have bad habits to break, now is the time to be trying out as many techniques as you can. Easier to learn than unlearn IME.

8. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Good advice so far. This all falls under the category of "muting." Basically, you need to touch every string at all times, otherwise it will ring out. You can use different combinations of left and right hand to mute. I personally like to move my right hand thumb so that it is in between the E and A strings, while I am playing on the D or G string. It will feel natural the more you practice it. :)

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021