Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strings shocking me......

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rkatapt, Jul 9, 2004.

1. rkatapt

rkatapt

Jun 7, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Well like the title says it'll light you up. :eek: I believe it is a grounding problem somewhere cause if I wear shoes it does not shock me only when barefooted on a concrete floor. I've noticed it on 2 different basses. I usually always wear shoes in our practice garage but if I sit in a metal chair then I get shocked by the chair. Has anyone had this problem before. I believe it to be the amp which is an Old Peavey Mark VIII. I do like shocking the guitar player though when he gets outta hand with the power chords he is always barefooted. Have any of you experienced this problem. I did a search on shocking strings but didn't find much.

2. kearney

kearney

Jul 5, 2004

this happened to me, i was at my first (and so far last) band practice (our guitarist quit after one practice). i was playing my ibanez tr50 and was talking with my drummer, put my hand across the strings over teh pickups and got shocked, my amp was turrned to ten, i think that may have had something to do with it

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Moving this to Setup... be careful - it doesn't take much current to zap you to your grave! Bad ground in the amp?

4. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Make sure the outlet that you are plugging your amp into is grounded.
    I use a power strip that has a light to show that the outlet is grounded correctly.

:bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

5. Try reversing the polarity on your amp and see if the same thing happens. Generally all amps have a on/off feature that can be switched in both directions, that's how you reverse the polarity....... is switching that switch in the other directions. If this doesn't work, try another bass through the amp, that way you can see if it's the amp or the bass itself causing the problem. Then of course you need to repair the grounding problem!

Good luck and let us know what the problem was once you fix it!

[​IMG]
    Treena

6. rkatapt

rkatapt

Jun 7, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Hey thanks for the help all, I am gonna try the reversed polarity tomorrow when I can get to my rig. I'll let you all know what happens. I took the amp apart and looked for any loose grounds internally and I found them to be well grounded. Gonna check my actual power cable maybe a bad cable.

7. rkatapt

rkatapt

Jun 7, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Hey thanks there Treena I put the switch in the neutral position and the problem was solved. Also thanks to everyone else who replied.......

8. jokke_v

jokke_v

Aug 15, 2003
    Bergen, Norway
    It happens to me once in a while.. ..it seems to happen if I have my arm laying on the strings of the bass.
    But to me the shock comes sneaking on.. ...and then I suddenly notice it.

9. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    Interprate this as a car. When traveling long distances, the car will generate electro static energy, which will pass on to you because your inside the car. As soon as you step out side of the car you connect to ground which transfers all of the electro-static energy through you, am i correct?
    That means your shoes are the wheels, you are yourself, and the strings are the ground. that means, if you walk around a lot, you generate the friction to cause the electro-static energy. Then touching the strings makes the contact with the ground (probs because they are grounded) and then you get zapped.
    Soloution: Well, on a car you have that funny rod on the back of the car to allow discharge
    bass solution: well, shouldn't the bass lead do this as it does contact the ground, but it is insulated (I hope :eek: ) so just wear a really long robe, perhaps a weading dress :hyper: