1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

strings "smacks" the fretboard ?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ingemar, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    What's wrong when the strings "smacks" the fretboard (not like a fretbuzz.more like a "smacking/ghostnote" sound) on a fretted bassneck?
    Specially with fretted notes on A and D strings in the 3-10 fret area.
    The relief is 0,35mm and the action (measured att 12 fret) is (Gstr.)2.0 - (E str.)2,5mm on my Ibanez Artcore AGB 140 semi hollow
    and 0,45 mm (relief) 2,2 - 2,7(action) on my P Bass.
    This problem occurs on both basses.

I pluck with my fingers

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Do you have higher action (on the bridge) for the A and D strings since fretboards have a radius?

3. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden

Yes... the action on the P bass (measured att 12 fret) is
    G 2,2mm D 2,4mm A 2,5mm E 2,7mm

and on the Artcore (measured att 12 fret)
    G 2.0mm D 2,2mm A 2,3mm E 2,5mm

4. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    just play more lightly and closer to the bridge . . . Although Stanley Clarke used the "string smacking against fretboard" thing intentionally, and to pretty cool effect.

5. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    This happens to me sometimes when I play my B or E string. I am usually plucking a little too hard when it happens. This began happening when I set my action lower. I just have to remember to exercise a little more control with my right (plucking) hand.

Joe

6. Play with a lighter touch, raise the action, play closer to the bridge, use higher tension strings. Any of these will help.

7. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    Thanks for Your answers.

I'll try (or allready did with fairly good result) lighter touch/better right hand control.

But does neckrelief influence this fenomenon ("smacking" sound, not fretbuzz) or sis it just the action at (cause of) the bridge ?

My AS P bass is strunged with Fender orginal Super Bass 8250M NPS, wish I think has fairly high tension but it "smack just as much as my TI Jazz Rounds stringed Artcore bass (the P bas has higher action to)

8. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    Hey, not to hijack the thread or anything, but I have similar problems sometimes on certain basses. What are some higher tension (than medium-gauge Elixir nanowebs) strings that I could try? Does higher tension just mean heavier gauge, or does somebody make strings designed to be high-tension?

9. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    Is it tue that RW strings rotates ( in a circular mode)
    but FW strings just move back and forth (left to right or right to left ;-)?

10. I've got the same problem, sort of a clacking sound only on one bass though and it is only on the 3rd fret on the A and E string.I have to really pay attention to my touch.If I want it to go away I'd have to raise the action quite a bit and add more relief that nessecary compared to the rest of the neck.It's a 5 string Moon Jazz bass so a very well built instrument.I'm using DR fat beams 130 to 45s.I'm getting used to it but it still bugs me.