Strings sound very dead on EHB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lee Bakker, Mar 5, 2021.

1. I've owned my EHB1005ms for several months. I put d'addario Pro Steels on it almost as soon as I got it. (it's the tapered balanced tension set with a tapered .135 instead of .127). Even with the stock Nickel strings, it sounded quite dull and dark acoustically (and by extension electrically). Even my squier jazz with two year old nickel strings sounds brighter and snappier (acoustically) than the Pro Steels did when they were brand new. Anyone else have this issue? Any strings that sound good on the EHBs? I'm thinking of trying light gauge (.120-.040) coated DR's.

2. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    If you've tried D'addario Pro Steels and it's not bright enough, you case is hopeless. :(

RocknRay, sonojono and Ricky Rioli like this.
  3. Yeah I am a big fan of the pro steels, getting great results on my other basses, but on my EHB they don't have any brightness or clarity at all. I think by going with lighter gauge strings, they will be brighter.

4. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Hasn't happened to me but maybe you got a bad set?

Lee Bakker likes this.
  5. It wouldn't be the first time I've had a dud from daddario. I really like how they sound but over the years I have gotten a few dead strings. Never a whole set. I'll experiment with some other strings for now i guess

6. Update: I put the XL Nickels that came with it, and it is much brighter. I guess D'addario gave me a dead set. I really want to love d'addario cause they sound great, but they keep sending me duds.

7. Bassclef46

Bassclef46 Inactive

Feb 1, 2021
    Check the pickup height. If the pickups are to close to the strings it will reduce vibration and cause a muddy sound. For clarity you may want to lower it 1/32 inch or even more depending. If your pups are already low then not sure

I didn’t care for the pro steels. I love the daddario exl 170. And their flats. But the pros didn’t work for me. They just sounded dead.

8. Matty Koff

Matty Koff

Aug 21, 2014
    Tennessee
    Might check out @LowEndLobster's video on the comparison between the EHB1005ms vs the EHB1505ms.. the Bartolini's just kind of sound dull and warm compared to the nordstrand pickups.

He replaced the Barts in his 1005ms with Aguilar soapbars and it sounded so much better than the barts imo.. Like..bright and clean without the bright grit of the Nordstrands.. I was sold on an EHB1505MS eventually but a 1005ms with a pickup swap sounds very appealing.

Yahboy and LowEndLobster like this.
  9. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Jun 14, 2013
    GHS Super Steels or DR High Beams might be a better choice if you want max brightness. Rotosound Swing 66 or DR Fat Beams if you want high end but a bit better midrange.

1960jbass, iiipopes, sonojono and 2 others like this.
  10. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Jun 14, 2013
    Btw never played an EHB but I have loved Fat Beams in particular on every Ibanez I have ever owned. Could just be me though.

sonojono and Lee Bakker like this.
  11. I am aware of the relative dark sound of BH2's. I'm not the biggest fan of em. I plan on replacing them in the future. But even acoustically the prosteels were completely dead. The XL nickels I just put on are much brighter. I'm pretty sure D'addario sent me a dud.

sonojono, Yahboy and Matty Koff like this.
  12. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Same pickups, but BH2 sound darker ,duller and muffle on EHB1000MS compare to SRMS805. The chamber basswood body are second factor on dark tone.
    Bright sounding pickups do help.

sonojono, Aidil and Lee Bakker like this.
  13. I think you just got a bad set of strings. Those strings should sound bright and zingy with good sustain when fresh installed, at least when you play the bass unplugged.
    If they are dull, with short sustain when play unplugged, that means the strings are bad.
    It happened to me quite a few times with: Rotosound, Daddario, and Labella, but it was just the B string, not the whole set

14. IvanBassist

IvanBassist Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Münster, Germany
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, G&L
    The Bartolinis that come with it have a muted top end by nature. Putting some Nordstrands or other pickups will give you a more open sound

sonojono likes this.
  15. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Possibilities:
    If the bass is brand new the outgassing of the case can kill strings in days.
    I have two OEM cases in storage that were replaced by Oneill Bodyglove cases.
    Soap residue on your hands can kill strings.
    A grounding issue. If the jack touches an over zealous application of shielding paint the bass will play but have muted highs. Extremely muted highs. I changed pickups before I found this culprit.
    Your issues while unplugged wouldn't be the shielding issue.
    Good luck.

downlowuponit and tindrum like this.
  16. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) mmm Woody! DHDIK? Supporting Member

EB Cobalt Rounds have a strong mid while being bright as the sun.

Dan_reeves likes this.
  17. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    As mentioned, possibly a bad set of Pro-Steels.

But, also mentioned, the EHB has a chambered body, which emphasizes a hollowness and explains what OP heard acoustically.

And yes, the Bartolini BH2's on the EHB aren't the types that have lots of top-end frequencies response.

Although, they aren't the darkest sounding Bartolini customized for Ibanez either. On the solid-body models, they have a decent brightness. At least the highs are more audible when compared to older Ibanez models with previous gen Bart BH1 pickups, which probably are the darkest sounding custom Bart made for Ibanez.

downlowuponit likes this.
  18. Maybe that's just the way that Bass sounds.

BobDeRosa likes this.
  19. BobDeRosa

BobDeRosa Supporting Member Commercial User

May 16, 2012
    Finger Lakes area of New York State
    Owner, Tritone Jazz Fantasy Camps
    I think @Thundertips nailed it. I would suspect electronics rather than strings.

20. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    I'm about to give these a try on a Sting Ray. Elixir Steels were my go to for a second, but I can't find a set at a reasonable price right now. Sting Rays really need a bright string to bring out their best characteristics. I'm hoping these hit that for me and last a bit.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021