1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strings started buzzing badly

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Orengery, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Orengery

Orengery

Oct 6, 2015
    Hey,
    I just recently had a full setup for my bass, and I left it in its case for about 2 months. I think the cold weather ruined the setup and now the A and D strings feel really low and buzz even when they are open. The bass feels unplayable. What should I do?

2. Jloch86

Jloch86

Aug 1, 2016
    New Jersey
    This a guitar vid but the principles are the same and helped me setup my Fender J Bass perfectly.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  3. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    This happens with my PJ bass with drastic weather changes. A simple 1/8th-1/4th turn in the truss rod to add or remove relief (buzz or too much relief) takes it back to normal. For some reason, that bass is more susceptible to weather changes than any of my others.

I would loosen the truss rod 1/8th turn, let it sit for a bit and see how it plays. If after several hours is still buzzing, do another 1/8th turn to loosen the rod. Should fix it. If not, take back to the person who set it up and explain.

mech likes this.
  4. XontheP

XontheP

May 24, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    Listen to where it's buzzing. If it's in the top 5 frets, loosen the truss rod. If it's buzzing above the 12th fret, tighten it. If it's in the middle or all over, raise your saddle until it stops. From: Setup Instruction Manual

Garret Graves and Low Commotion like this.