1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Strings still need stretching?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fivestoriesfall, Aug 17, 2005.

1. fivestoriesfall

fivestoriesfall

Aug 17, 2005
    I recently put new DR strings on my bass. For awhile I couldn't get any note to play clearly above the 12th fret; I was getting that flat metal scraping sound that doesn't play the note. So I figured I'd let them sit and try a little stretching. Eventually they started playing correctly up the neck but I've still been having trouble playing notes from the first through third frets. Most of them play but I can hear the scraping sound and it still appears as if the strings are tight up there and playing a note causes the string to scrape against a note a half step or even a step away and produce the clanging sound at least partially. Do I still need to try to stretch out in that area or is there anything else I can do to get clear notes to play? Thanks.

2. myrockinbass

myrockinbass

Jun 10, 2005
    Is the neck straight? If not it sounds like you might need a truss rod adjustment.

3. Tritone

Tritone Gold Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America