Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strings still need stretching?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fivestoriesfall, Aug 17, 2005.

1. fivestoriesfall

fivestoriesfall

Aug 17, 2005
    I recently put new DR strings on my bass. For awhile I couldn't get any note to play clearly above the 12th fret; I was getting that flat metal scraping sound that doesn't play the note. So I figured I'd let them sit and try a little stretching. Eventually they started playing correctly up the neck but I've still been having trouble playing notes from the first through third frets. Most of them play but I can hear the scraping sound and it still appears as if the strings are tight up there and playing a note causes the string to scrape against a note a half step or even a step away and produce the clanging sound at least partially. Do I still need to try to stretch out in that area or is there anything else I can do to get clear notes to play? Thanks.

2. myrockinbass

myrockinbass

Jun 10, 2005
    Is the neck straight? If not it sounds like you might need a truss rod adjustment.

3. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America