1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Strings, Strings, Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ImakenoiseGood, Jan 26, 2012.

1. ImakenoiseGood

ImakenoiseGood

Jul 23, 2011
    Hello Tb,

I am the proud owner of 3 basses, one of which I use the heaviest gauge flatwounds because I bought em when I started playing and liked the mellower sound, I think it messed up my bass's neck, causing the neck to bend forward (from weight??). So lets learn about strings.

What are the benefits of heavier gauge// lighter gauge strings, whats your favorite strings && if i am changing the gauge of my strings how can I restring so that my bass stays with low action and no fret buzz?

also side question about my school's bass, the action is low on the first 3 frets then is high as hell on the higher frets. ot looks like a box and arrow now, is the problem the truss rod need to be tightened?
    Thanks TB

2. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Dec 4, 2009
    Downunder Oz
    Bass player
    Sounds like the Truss Rod if its up higher.

3. Dug2

Dug2 Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2011
    chicago
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f18/warwick-thumb-set-up-848734/

that should give u some insite on set up as far as adjusting action and truss rod.
    as far as strings; i would think heavier/lighter ga. strings would be a thing of preference/
    feel. personally, i like a med. ga. string.... look into DR fat beams.
    gl