1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strings that go bang in the night

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by bassedsouth, Nov 25, 2018.

1. I decided to try a set of Velvet Animas for something different to my usual Spiro set up.
    I was woken up by a bang the other night - sadly the D string had snapped at the nut.
    I haven't had time to get to know these strings and aren't sure if its worth replacing the D , I'd hate this to happen on stage .
    I haven't had a Spiro break on me yet and am interested if anyone has had the same experience with Animas ?
    String.

2. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Looks like the adhesive holding the string in the part that goes around the peg failed. I had an Anima D string do this halfway through a gig with a Gypsy Jazz guitarist. It was not fun. The nut slots were properly cut and well lubed. It was my last set of Animas.

bassedsouth likes this.
  3. Its the actual string that snapped before the material that winds round the peg . The break is super even !
    I also made sure the nut slots were not too small and used graphite .

salcott likes this.
  4. Reiska

Reiska Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    At least Velvet used to have 1 year warranty policy and superior customer service. Contact Velvet for replacement, I`ve had at least two Anima strings replaced when i used them.

bassedsouth and Silevesq like this.
  5. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    I saw this title I was guessing the offending string would be Velvets or plain gut.

I had an Anima A string fail on installation being put on by luither at David Gage’s shop. Some Velvets just fail and completely go in a way I’ve never seen a steel string break. The only time I’ve ever had a string totally snap on a gig was a NOS plain gut G that might have actually been a thin gauge D in retrospect...

bassedsouth likes this.
  6. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    You can get a replacement from velvet

bassedsouth likes this.
  7. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    And people say nothing exciting ever happens on the DB side of the house.

misterbadger, bassedsouth and Inky13 like this.
  8. I loved Animas. LOVED. Dumped them due to breakage issues. Oh well.

9. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    True-just send a check or CC number.

bassedsouth likes this.
  10. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    Haha no I meant I think they have a replacement warenty of a year

bassedsouth likes this.
  11. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I used Compas 180 and Blues and had enough breakage to stop using their strings. Couldn't wait the week it would take to get replacements from Velvet.

bassedsouth and HateyMcAmp like this.
  12. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

How on earth is Velvet still in busine$$ with such widespread breakage issues?
    I wouldn't try any of their strings even if they were given to me for "free".
    (no) Thanks!

bassedsouth and Sam Dingle like this.
  13. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    I’ve wondered this myself.

bassedsouth and Don Kasper like this.
  14. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    Maybe we should have a velvet warning thread on the string page like the electric bass side has about that one bass builder :D

15. Darrin Huff? He did right by me, but it was the ‘90s.

16. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    Thats the guy. Don't wanna turn this into another huff thread, we can leave the gossip there.

I'm wondering who is using velvets full time now though. I know eric revis is using a garbo G with zyex, but I don't know many people who are still using them. 2 guys in Nola are using full sets but both of them have sets that have been on there for years.

Maybe I'll ask the velvet thread. I don't enjoy the feel under the fingers. If I don't play spirocores or something free I'll look at those custom german guts.

bassedsouth likes this.
  17. I was starting to think they may have potential ! Were definitely going to take time to get used to under the bow.

A few years back I got to sit in and watch a rehearsal with Rufus Reid on bass . He uses Animas and his sound was just sublime .With musicianship like that he’d sound great using anything

18. I tried all the strings, right? Guess I had to know.

Animas were alive. Garbos were pretty dead. Blues were like reverse engineered Spirocores.

My attack can be brutal but I never broke a Velvet during a set. I only ever came home to find that something had let go during the day.

I don’t think I know anyone still using them either, but I’m not as outgoing about these things as I used to be. Life will do that to you.

Their concept is brilliant. It’s their execution that led me to settle on Spiros, Kaplans and gut. If Velvet sponsored me and gave me crates of free Animas I’d play them forever, but fat chance of that.

bassedsouth likes this.
  19. Sean Riddle

Sean Riddle Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Ventura, California
    If I could get an endorsement from Velvet, I’d probably take it and play Animas as long as I could. They were the 2nd best strings I’ve ever used. But I’m gonna stick with my Spirocore Weichs and they’re the best anyone could dream of.

When I met Stephan Crump last year, he was using Anima’s on G D A and some sort of Pirastro on E.

bassedsouth likes this.
  20. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    Even Rufus left velvet strings according to Chris. Some sort of innovation strings now.

bassedsouth likes this.