Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strings that have a narrowed bridge end

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dTune, Mar 11, 2004.

1. dTune

dTune

Feb 28, 2004
    Finland
    I'm thinking of trying out heavier gauge strings, but have a tiny problem. A string thicker than .130 won't go through my bridge...:meh: It's mainly because the end of the string isn't wound up evenly.

When I bought my bass (used from a friend) he had a B string in it which had a narrowed end in it. Does anyone know what strings have this narrowing in them? I think they were D'Addarios but i'm not sure.

And if you have experiences with this type of strings, let me hear of them. I'm thinking that does it affect the resonance of the string in any way, or does it change the sound/feel?

2. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    That type of string is usually called "taper wound" as they taper down at the ball end. I believe that the main reason some strings are designed that way is that the heavier gauges are supposed to intonate better as a heavy gauge taper wound string will have a better angle over the bridge saddle or less of the string contacting the bridge saddle or something, somebody else can explain that better. Of course sometimes you just have to have taper wound because thats all that you can get in the bridge slot. I have a five string that most brands of round wounds don't fit. I use DR Long Necks on that bass and they're okay, but there are many other brands out their. Do a search of the string forums for "taper wound". Good luck.

3. dTune

dTune

Feb 28, 2004
    Finland
    Thanks. Now that i know the name it's a lot easier to find out about those.

4. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Smith Strings have the tapered B's and so do some DR's. You can find them on several brands but the Smiths are very reasonably priced I tink.

5. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    There are many different brands that have a tapored core. My favorites have been the Smith Custom's and believe it or not, Carvin's Nickel plated plated strings have the tapor cores as well. The Carvin strings are the LaBella's and are really good for the money.

6. moopants

moopants

Oct 21, 2006
    Lake Charles, LA
    Elixir has a tapered B and I think E. I don't like Elixirs, but the tapered B was very helpful. It does help intonation problems. When I changed to a non-tapered B, I fought for hours trying to intonate the d*mn string. Of course, when you finally get it intonated, as long as you don't switch back to tapered, it's all right.:ninja:

7. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    i recently got a set of the Dean Markley Will Lee signature strings. they are taperwound up to the d... hope that helps

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Elixir offers a taperwound B. Same with Sadowsky, and many other brands.

LaBella Hard Rockin' Steels have taperwound B and E. I'm sure there are others...

Ken Smith Tapercores[SUP]TM[/SUP] have tapered B, E, A, and D.

9. Warr Tapper

Warr Tapper Banned

Sep 17, 2006
    Work
    Try Dean Markley SR2000s