Strings that sounds like Elixirs

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by semborg, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Which strings come closest soundwise to elixir strings?

I like the elixir string sound but not the feel.
    Which shall I go for?
  2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Pretty much any old string that's about to go dead will give you that Elixir sound.
  3. I do not agree with you.
  4. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Niether do I.
    I haven't heard any strings that I like as well... or i'd use them.
  5. ducaticarl

Oct 16, 2005
    I have generally had good luck with DR's and D'addario's with the pink band on the package...but then again they aren't going to last as long as the Elixir's.
  6. infectus-alex

Oct 17, 2005
    Ive found that as long as your prepared to change your strings every 20 mins or so, you dont need elixirs - but, i like playing, not changing strings! Elixirs are the best sounding and feeling string - have you stuck with them for a bit, they do have a tendancy to feel like they have been dunked in WD40 when brand new, but that feeling does wear off....
  7. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Give DR's coated strings a shot. A lot of people swear by them.
  8. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I used to use only Elixirs, until I realized that I killed them just as quickly as regular non-coated strings. I still changed em every 3 or 4 months, although my first set lasted 6 months. I just tore the coating apart, and this is on my SR506, so they cost about $60 just for a set!

I'm back to using regular steels and nickels.

Also, if DR's Black or other color-coated strings for bass are anything like the ones for acoustic guitar, I have one suggestion: Don't waste your money. They look hella cool, but already the Black Beauties on my acoustic guitar sound worse than a 2 month old set of never-cleaned D'addario bronze strings.