Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strings that sounds like Elixirs

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by semborg, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Which strings come closest soundwise to elixir strings?

I like the elixir string sound but not the feel.
    Which shall I go for?

2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Pretty much any old string that's about to go dead will give you that Elixir sound.

3. I do not agree with you.

4. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Niether do I.
    I haven't heard any strings that I like as well... or i'd use them.

5. ducaticarl

ducaticarl

Oct 16, 2005
    I have generally had good luck with DR's and D'addario's with the pink band on the package...but then again they aren't going to last as long as the Elixir's.

6. infectus-alex

infectus-alex

Oct 17, 2005
    Ive found that as long as your prepared to change your strings every 20 mins or so, you dont need elixirs - but, i like playing, not changing strings! Elixirs are the best sounding and feeling string - have you stuck with them for a bit, they do have a tendancy to feel like they have been dunked in WD40 when brand new, but that feeling does wear off....

7. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Give DR's coated strings a shot. A lot of people swear by them.

8. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I used to use only Elixirs, until I realized that I killed them just as quickly as regular non-coated strings. I still changed em every 3 or 4 months, although my first set lasted 6 months. I just tore the coating apart, and this is on my SR506, so they cost about $60 just for a set!

I'm back to using regular steels and nickels.

Also, if DR's Black or other color-coated strings for bass are anything like the ones for acoustic guitar, I have one suggestion: Don't waste your money. They look hella cool, but already the Black Beauties on my acoustic guitar sound worse than a 2 month old set of never-cleaned D'addario bronze strings.