1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

strings that will fit through body 35" 5'ers

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by crusie, Apr 25, 2010.

1. crusie

crusie

Oct 19, 2009
    Djursland, Denmark
    yeah - it's pretty narrow - I've had my share of strings that wasn't long enough or started to get thinner before the actual headstock

I for one can surely voutch for the following strings

Rotosound Swingbass - super long scale 45-130
    Dr highbeams - Extra long scale 45-130
    Dr red devils - Extra long scale 45-125 - tight fit but it works on my läkland skyline 55-01
    [​IMG]

any other brands that will string through body on a 35'er ?

I know for a fact that elixirs extra long scale actually is more like a 34" - the B string isn't long enough to pass the nut, and the E-string actually switces mid-nut

2. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

Jan 23, 2010
    Extra Long XLs from DAddario.

3. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

SIT NR545125XL

4. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    In my experience, DR, GHS and Fender strings will always be long enough.

5. I hate that D'addario stopped making the Super Long XLs for 6-string.
    Now I have to buy a 5-string set and a single string for the high C.

Come on D'Addario, bring it back!

6. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    +1 on the DR and Fender. Both of these have always been long enough and I've never had to get an extra long set for a 35" through body bass.

I've never used GHS so I couldn't say.

7. MammaryVest

MammaryVest

Oct 18, 2006
    Stoneham, MA
    I have a Gibson Ripper. I'm pretty sure the scale length is the standard 34 inches, but because of the way the tail piece and the headstock are designed, the guy I bought it from told me to use extra long strings to prevent the taper from coming before the nut. My tattoo artist (who also has a ripper) said that he uses regular DR sunbeams, and they are definitely long enough. I haven't tried it yet because I'm scared to blow the money on strings that I can't use, but I have been told that they'll work, so there's that for you.

8. code911

code911

Jun 21, 2005
    Greenback, TN
    I have peavey grind 5 bxp neck-thru that strings thru the body. The only ones that my local guitar center have that seems to fit are ernie ball extra long (no taper)

9. I've used quite a few different DRs (Sunbeam, Hibeams, Fatbeams, lo-riders) and they all fit. I think that just about any DR will be fine. I have tried GHS Boomers and they weren't long enough. They probably would have wrapped well enough but the silk was sitting in (on?) the nut.

10. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Any Dunlops will work. Like DR, they have about 38" of winding.

11. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

Jan 23, 2010
    You can cut back silk on string pretty easily.

12. The regular XL's juussssst make it on a Lakland if you top load. B is the worst case...just makes it through the nut at full thickness.

Good to know planning ahead.

13. I put DR Long neck 45-125 strings on my Lakland strung through the body. From what I've been told, they're basically extra long scale Lo-Riders with a taper. The lower strings sound better with the taper on my bass.

14. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    Elixir x-long will also work...great strings too by the way

15. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

Jan 23, 2010
    The taper is long enough with running string thru? I have a set but didnt think that would work although i may not have tried. I dont even remember what bass i had them on because they didnt stay long (didnt want to bother with changing the setup but i love the strings).