1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strings...the bane of my existence

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JimmyM, Nov 17, 2019.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    !!!I AM NOT LOOKING FOR STRING BRAND RECOMMENDATIONS!!! MY STRING CHOICES ARE SET IN STONE!!!

Gotta have strings. Gotta touch strings. Gotta listen to strings. Gotta buy lots of crappy strings to find strings U heart. Gotta think that some music sounds better with one set of strings than another. Gotta realize strings are one set per customer. Gotta accept that flounds don't exist except in Jim's mind. Gotta make choices unless you can stand to hold a doubleneck. Gotta pain in my shoulder thinking about it. And choices suck.

I've said it since I started playing stringed instruments and I'll say it again.

DC Stevens, pcake, kleb and 22 others like this.
  2. movinngruvin

movinngruvin Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Key West, FL
    Don’t forget, gotta remember which set you put on which bass when you have multiple sets laying around and forget to write it down or put the pack in with the bass.

DC Stevens, GreyEagle, pcake and 37 others like this.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Dang man, thx for reminding me.

Engle, HalfStep, juancaminos and 3 others like this.
  4. movinngruvin

movinngruvin Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Key West, FL
    The bane is real

5. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    As I've added more basses to my arsenal I find that I stress less over string choice. I have determined what I like on what bass as far as sound and feel go so if I need a different sound, I just grab the right bass/string combo. Mine are pretty much set in stone too...but I WOULD like to try a set of TI flats on one of my basses...maybe more...

6. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Embrace the madness! Start collecting vintage bass strings instead of basses.

7. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Strung out? Me too :bassist:

Stumbo, LessIsLess, BOOG and 6 others like this.
  8. BLDavis

BLDavis Master of Snarks. Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Ellenboro, NC
    "flounds"? Oh, I get it. And you're right, the perfect strings have yet to be invented. Best I've found in my 40+ year quest are "flapes". But then they're not round enough. Chromes come close unless I need flats, or rounds........ URrrrrgh!
    B.

9. LOL You are already using great strings...the Dunlop flats. Go with the flow. :p

BassJuju, 1bassplayinfool and JimmyM like this.
  10. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

I literally keep a spreadsheet. It shows the brand, type, gauges, and date last changed for all of my stringed instruments.

DC Stevens, pcake, Ferniff and 19 others like this.
  11. Wow. I stopped worrying about strings decades ago. I hardly ever change them, have basses that are twenty years old with the original strings on them (and still sound great) and although I do have certain favorites, don't really care what's on any of my basses.

If I have a "process" it would be to use what came on the bass as I bought it liking how it sounded. So my Laklands get "Lakeland" strings, Fenders get "Fender" strings etc. Probably all made by the same company anyway. Oh, and I do use TI flats on two Precisions and one Jazz just because.

No spreadsheet for me.

12. Cowboy in Latvia

Cowboy in Latvia

Mar 1, 2015
    Gotta remember not to post about strings after my fifth beer...posting for a friend....:bag:

13. Strings... You can't live with them, you can't live without them.

Going forward, I'm sticking with my one true love. Happy 2020!

mikewalker, JimmyM, Vinny_G and 2 others like this.
  14. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    I'm just bumping Jimmy's thread, because it's at least something worthwhile. :thumbsup:

As an aside, I have personally towed a Volkswagen with a used upright E string. It worked for a while.

15. Bruiser Stone

Bruiser Stone Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    There is no such stone.

I’ve nearly sold the TI’s twice in the first month and a half, but a little bit of the zing is gone (after playing the shnizzle out of them), and my fretting hand has made the adjustment. They are gorgeous.

Surely one of your children could learn German, right Jimmy?

JimmyM and EatS1stBassist like this.
  16. Davidg

Davidg Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Everyone should try TI Flats. Magic on fretless, magic on a Precision. Some don't care for the "looser(?)" feel but nothing sounds like them.

Eikari, fretlessguy, DJ Bebop and 7 others like this.
  17. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Could be worse..... imagine being a drummer.

Drumsticks and cymbals.....they are freaking expensive.
    Mixing and matching cymbals....that is a ISANE UNENDING NIGHTMARE!! I've been a silent witness to this strange and eerie ritual more often that would have liked.
    I know more than one drummer that cracked out of warranty 800$ rides.

And I forgot hi hats!!!!!!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    mikewalker, JimmyM, logdrum and 2 others like this.
  18. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    You should try Elixirs... they're the best.

mjbing, C_Becker, AlexU and 7 others like this.
  19. I usually change my strings out every 4 to 6 months on the main bass I play. However, this particular set of DR Nickel Lo-Riders (which was batched up after their factory was damaged and repaired) still sounds pretty good almost exactly a year after I put them on.

Very strange... and I haven't been doing anything different to them. Cleaning them after each play, wiping them down and using my Musicnomad string cleaner on them - I think it's called "String Fuel."

Otherwise I have TI Jazz flats on my Precision, and D'Addario Contemporaries on my NS.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  20. I used to stress about strings, but I narrowed it down.
    I just put TIs on my two main basses, a P and a Streamer. Light rounds on the Jazz, and whatever I need on the other P, since it toploads, currently tapes.

I used to keep rounds on the Streamer, but it was waaaay too bright,