1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

strings & things

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by p0k, Jun 19, 2007.

1. p0k

p0k I play the bass and design things.

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    so i have a Semihollow ASAT strung up with some GHS Flats, and i just got an SB-2 and i put the rounds that originally came with my ASAT on it. They both sound great, but i've always heard that flats sound better on P-basses. is this true? i was thinking about swapping the strings, but i guess if i'm happy i should just leave it. any opinions on the matter?

2. PSPookie

PSPookie Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    If the ASAT were a solid-body I would defintely say rounds for the ASAT and flat for the SB-2. With the semiollow, I'm not sure though.

Try swapping them out and see which way you like best.

3. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think the SB-2 is more of a "rounds" bass unless maybe you always solo the P pickup- the bass has so much fantastic highend and high-mids that it seems a shame to tone them down that much- That said, I used Rotosound Flats on my SB-2 for awhile and it was pretty nice sounding. It just didn't have as much of the SB-2 signature character to it (its the top end that really makes it unique IMO).

Karl

4. basstones

basstones Supporting Member

May 24, 2005
    Houston, TX
    p0k,
    I had SIT power flats on the bass before our trade. I really like the p bass sound that the strings brought out and the SIT's from their website: Semi-Flat pure nickel wound long scale. Flatter than half flat, but not quite as flat as a pure flatwound. Smooth to the touch, but still good intonation.
    really have a nice dark growl to them. I had tried a couple of different brands of flats but as sunbeast said
    which I have to agree, the flats just took something away form the pickup combo of the SB-2. Hope that helps. Other than strings how is the bass treating you?
    peace,
    Brian

5. p0k

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA

yeah, that does help. i'm thinking i'm going to leave the rounds on there for now since i'm liking the tone thus far...i'm sure i'll experiment later though.

i love the SB-2 so far...although i haven't done much with it other than practice in my apt. i'm still trying to figure out the electronics. does the non-stacked knob still adjust the j-pup volume too? it doesn't seem to do much when i turn it.

6. basstones

May 24, 2005
    Houston, TX
    It is basically a tone knob. Here is a thread from another site which kind of explains the mods, this is where I picked up the idea and had Butch make me the harness.

http://badassbassplayers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=4183

Brian

7. basstones

May 24, 2005
    Houston, TX
    BTW, I ended up put Ken Smith Compressor's on the Wick because the SIT's don't come in a 5 string set for some odd reason? They have the same feel and a little more of the round wound snap to them. They are a little more expensive than the SIT(which carry a nice inexpensive price tag) but overall I really like both strings.
    So the KS's are another option.
    peace,
    Brian

8. p0k

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    OK, i finally get it. for some reason i was thinking the bottom of the stacked one was tone. so if the tone knob is in the middle, both pups have equal blending? sorry about all the questions :)

9. basstones

May 24, 2005
    Houston, TX
    No problem, if you set the stacked knob in equal settings you will have the blend at equal settings, the non stacked knob will just effect the overall tone of the bass. I use to set the stacked knob as 100% p pup(top part of knob) to 80% jazz style pup(bottom of knob) than adjust the tone knob accordingly to your liking, this setting would give me a nice p sound with a little growl. For a little more jazz bass sound I would just reverse the percentages on the stacked knob 80% top and 100% bottom. It is a little tricky because there is a fine line between all the adjustments. You might want to crank up the amp a little to test drive, I found that at lower volumes the differences are slight and harder to hear.
    peace,
    Brian

10. p0k

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    yeah, i think thats why i wasn't noticing the tone knob doing much...i probably had my volume too low. thanks a lot for all the advice!

did you get the wick all set up the way you wanted?

11. basstones

May 24, 2005
    Houston, TX
    sure did, I had to use a shim to help the JANII along until the JAN III arrives and I also have a original style brass nut coming not sure which way I will go.
    peace,
    Brian

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021