1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strings-Thru-Body or Topload?

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by GBlake, Sep 28, 2008.

1. GBlake

GBlake

Sep 28, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Hey Justin, on your basses that you have a choice to string thru the body or topload from the bridge which do you usually pick? If you do have a strong preference I was curious if it is because of tension or sound.

p.s. I love your forum, and the awesome players that interact on it.
    p.p.s. this is def a question for anyone who has a preference or opinion on the subject, thanks!

2. On The DL

On The DL

Apr 1, 2008
    KC
    Well for me (and slightly off the relevant topic), as much as I play, I can't afford to buy a nice set of strings every two weeks so, I boil them at least a couple times before they expire completely which means stringing them through the bridge is much easier to remove and restring them after a boiling.

I have a carvin 5 and a fender p 4 both with bridge and thru-body stringing options and honestly, there might be a slight difference in sustain and/or resonance etc, but I can't tell that much with either bass.

3. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    I can't tell the difference either!

4. It will vary from bass to bass, but on the one bass that I have tried both ways (A TBC AP-400M) there was a BIG difference in punch when I strung it through the body vs. through the bridge. That's just my experience with one bass.

5. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    It depends on the strings.

With flats, I notice a difference. (some don't work at all)
    Not as much with round wounds.

Each bass is different.

6. GBlake

GBlake

Sep 28, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Thanks for the input JMJ and fellas. My only reference has been my Am Jazz, and I almost always go thru the body. It suites me just fine like that, but I can't wait to get more basses to experiment with, haha.