Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strings to fit 34.5" scale

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by wyliee, Aug 17, 2004.

1. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    I've got several F Basses. I've traditionally used La Bella Supersteps or Dean Markley Will Lee signatures on them.

One of my basses has an older bridge that really needs a taper core for the B string to fit properly.

My fretless is sorely in need of new strings. It is strung through the body. As such, the strings will need to be extra long.

I was thinking about Elixirs for the fretless. Does anyone know if they'd be long enough? (Adding up the extra length needed for through body and 34.5" scale.)

I've used Thomastik Infield on other basses in the past but don't recall if they ever had taper core or if they'd be long enough for the 34.5" scale. Does anyone know?

-Eric.

2. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    hey Eric,

I just installed a standard set of TI Power Bass Roundwounds (5 string) on my F Bass. (LOVE THEM TOO!) They fit just fine. But they are not tapers. I had my bridge adjusted so I could use standard strings like DR's, TI's, D'Addario's etc. I liked the Super Steps but felt they went dead awfully fast. Plus, they are not easy to find locally and ordering them usually involves a wait time. Fine if I think of it in advance, but when I need strings, the wait is painful forcing me to endure dead strings.

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    My BN6 has Elixirs on it. They work great on it.